Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear

Traveling to UK/Ireland - What to bring along?

(1/6) > >>

sylvan:
My wife and I are planning a vacation to Ireland later this year.  I would like to bring a few personal protection items along, but I am not sure what may or may not be confiscated.  I would, of course, carry these in the checked baggage until we arrived.  Any recommendations?

chris:
A shillelagh to keep the drunken Irish in check. Probably easiest to buy one there though.

TrashCanMan:
Pretty much nothing.

Anything that could be considered an offensive weapon would not be allowed.  I don't know what a shillelagh is, sorry!

If you haven't got a good reason for having a screwdriver in your pocket, that could be construed as 'going equipped' or as a 'concealed weapon'

If you are driving, don't forget to pack a baseball bat and a ball in the trunk in case you feel the urge to try out some of our open green spaces ;) lol

My advice is to keep an old crappy wallet with a few low denomination notes in your back pocket.  IF in the extremely unlikely event you were to be mugged, just hand that over, walk away and report it.  You will have a higher percentage chance of getting yourself in strife with the police by carrying a weapon than actually needing one to defend yourself, especially in the tourist areas.

I would say don't worry about it.  The Irish are a friendly bunch and I've always found them welcoming.  Relax and enjoy your vacation - especially the Guiness :)

Pathfinder:
The Brits have become notorious for prosecuting anyone who defends themselves in an attack.  Let me repeat that . . .

They prosecute the victim if the victim defends themselves. If you use any thing as a weapon - baseball bat, cricket bat, screwdriver, a phone book, you will be prosecuted ever more aggressively.

The Brits also have one of the highest crime rates in the industrialized world. There are parts of London where you should not venture in the daytime, let alone at night.

IMHO - stay the hell away from the UK at this time, at least until someone over there gets a clue and starts hammering the criminals and coddling the victims, instead of the other way around at this time. It also may start sending a message (doubt it though) to make a point of telling them you will not come because of their failures as a society and a gummint, and for not allowing you to protect yourself.

TrashCanMan:

--- Quote from: pathfinder on May 17, 2009, 05:20:25 PM ---The Brits also have one of the highest crime rates in the industrialized world. There are parts of London where you should not venture in the daytime, let alone at night.

--- End quote ---

We sent all our criminals to Australia LOL

The victim would only be prosecuted if 'unreasonable' force was used to defend themselves.  If someone broke in to my house, I shouted at them and they ran out the back door, I chased after them and caught them up 10 blocks later and stabbed them, that would be 'unreasonable'

If someone broke in to my house, I was in the kitchen and they came at me with a knife and I was to stab them, the law would be on my side.

Please cite the source of your crime rate statistics......

Where in the UK have you been by the way?  Don't believe everything you read.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version