Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2341672 times)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #6060 on: March 30, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
Welcome to TSP scemt. We're in the CSRA area. Check out the Region 3 threads.

Offline glacierspyder

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Posting Zombie
« Reply #6061 on: March 30, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Wanted to drop on in. I'm from Michigan, currently in set-up mode after relocating the tribe. You don't realize how much stuff you have prepped until you have to move it all.

Offline fobnicat

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6062 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
Hey!

I have been a member for a few days/weeks now and I have just realized that I never posted my "Hello!" and  so here I am, Hello!

I have been prepping most of my life but only in the last 2 years have I come to realize that is what I was doing.  My entire life I have been interested in the homesteading life style.  Now that I am engaged I have begun to feel a sense of urgency.  At only 27, I know I have time.  It's a marathon after all, not a sprint. 

I found TSP while looking for videos/podcasts about aquaponics.  Thankfully, this community has given me an additional source for information.  It seems many of the boards I have visited in the past were much more "tin foil hat" types. I have already learned quite a bit here and I hope that I can do my part in the community by offering some of my limited knowledge/experience!

Offline tomboy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6063 on: March 31, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »
I've been listening to TSP since early 2010 when a co-worker and I discovered we had some of the same views on survival and prepping in common. 

I've always had an interest in gardening and am currently working on some woody beds and swales.  My future goals are to build a greenhouse and experiment with using a rocket mass heater to heat it.  I've been a member for some time but never seemed to get around to actually participating. 

Offline TNYHWK1

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6064 on: March 31, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
Just stopped in to say Hi. I live in the great state of ILLinois.( I know it sucks.) I am on 13 in13. Just a fella looking to catch the worlds biggest catfish. CPR please. Thanks

Offline HawthorneCA

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6065 on: March 31, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »
Hi!  I live in California's Central Valley.  I discovered the Survival Podcast about 9 months ago by following a link over at Mrs. Survival.  Love the podcast and I've been poking about here on the forum and enjoying it.  I garden and keep a well-stocked pantry and am looking forward to participating in the forum!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #6066 on: March 31, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
Just stopped in to say Hi. I live in the great state of ILLinois.( I know it sucks.) I am on 13 in13. Just a fella looking to catch the worlds biggest catfish. CPR please. Thanks
Welcome neighbor-Indiana here :)

Offline GunnyMike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6067 on: March 31, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »
Howdy from Yuma AZ. I am a retired Marine and now a retired senior. There is just my wife and I in the home now. This is my first year at trying to garden, so far I got my seasons mixed up as I am originally from northern CA. Figures. The things planted in other parts of the country for spring are planted in the fall down here. I have a 5 acre homesteaded property that is nothing but heavy clay so am using raised beds for now and will probably go to sunken mulch basins later on. I have spent my whole life in one uniform or another. Started in the Boy Scouts then the Army then after a 6 year break joined the Marines because the Army didn't want me back and I needed a paying job at the time because I got tired of being laid off during the crises of the 70's and just stayed with it until I got my 20. Finished off my working life in security work. Looking forward to being re-educated here.

Offline oneil911

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6068 on: March 31, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Hey everyone. Excited to be here, meet people and learn lots. A little about me...
I am 23 YOA and looking for TSP/ preparedness minded friends in East Texas.
I just made a move from Longview, WA to Longview, TX for a job change. I am approaching my wedding day with my beautiful fiance and she will be down here with me by June.
I have the luxury of an increased income and more time off to spend with my soon-to-be wife as well as working on skills and hobby-building (currently, I really don't have any  :(....
My goals are paying off my debt by midsummer, learning skills from basic hunting, planting/gardening, and building friendships/community in the area.
Recently listened to Episode 1093 regarding developing a prepper group and have been contemplating the ideas that were discussed for a few months but until recently, was unable to find the time to do it. Looking to set aside time and excuses on why things can't be done and just do it.
Thanks for reading my rant, look forward to building community!

-oneil911

Offline RedStagKiller

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6069 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
I'm Mike from Ky.. Been listening to the podcast for 6 or so months now.  I am slowly but surely changing my life for the better.  Luckly I have a wife that agrees with me.  I'm 30 with three children 3 months, an two at 4 years.  Doing my best not too teacup them.. They have learned oh to crash and fall. 

Offline historygeek1989

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6070 on: April 01, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
Hello all. Late forum joiner.  I caught up with Jack back at episode 75 (still have the podcast download) and listened until around 130, moved away to other podcasts and then refound Jack around show 600.  Boy oh boy what a difference from those early days in the truck. 

I've been a support member for the past year, and been a lurker on the forums and Zello, but I have never really been big on building online community relationships. In fact I have been removed by a few sites for not posting or visiting enough times in a month.  I have too much going on in my normal life to have to try and manage online friends and I really don't think I have anything to offer that more experienced people can't provide.  I am a big reader and doer.  That being said, I agree that Jacks message of building community is an important one, and part of my 13 skills push is to build better online connections with like minded people, along with building local community beyond my one co-worker. 

I think that's enough for my mental hang ups, lol.  I am in my mid 40's (male), married (fully supportive and wishes we could have small livestock), four kids between 4 and 11, living on jsut over 1/3 acre in suburban metro Atlanta (25 miles outside the city) with food producing raised beds.  -Don

Offline bikerzed

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6071 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
Hi all. I've been a listener and lurker here for about six months now, and finally pulled the trigger and signed up.  I've been into self-sufficiency and preparedness most of my life, but only recently learned I was a "prepper" (didn't know there was such a thing!).  I probably won't post much, unless I have a question or feel that I have a good answer to a question that has not been answered, but I look forward to learning more and sharing what little knowledge I have.

Offline TNYHWK1

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6072 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Welcome neighbor-Indiana here :)

Thank you !

Offline HailStorm

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6073 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
Hey all.
Name's Ted, from the winter wonderland that is Minnesota. Been listening to the podcast since inception, but decided to take the plunge into the forum. Wife and I are in the cash stocking phase for purchasing our first home/homestead. Looking forward to learning even more!

Offline mohauck

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6074 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
Hi- I'm Mohauck
new to the prepping world, more about self sufficiency, and learning more about the land, creating a natural oasis in the Mts of PA-
permaculture is really peaking my interests.

Offline Preppin2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6075 on: April 01, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
Hi all! Josh from Tennessee here. Been listening to TSP for about a year now...changed my life. Been prepping ever since. It's so awesome to be a part of the community. I am looking forward to spending more time in the forum getting to know you all.

Offline andria

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6076 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Hello all! This is my second time coming to the forum.  It was a little overwhelming to begin with, and I wasn't sure where to begin.  I am hoping to learn new skills and communicate with like-minded people on here. 

Offline vickyanns

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6077 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
Hi im vicky new here ty

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #6078 on: April 03, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
I've been a bit lax and haven't visited this thread for a while.  Welcome to all the new friends!!    Glad to have you all aboard.  Don't forget to contribute!  Everyone has different life experiences and even if you think you don't have much to offer, you'd be surprised what others can learn from you.   

Welcome!!!

Doc

Offline bruuuuuu

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6079 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
This is Bruuuuuu in the South Puget Sound area of Washington State.  I'm a Kenpo Karate instructor, crappy archer, and amateur blacksmith.  I've put my hand in a little bit of everything and am currently helping my fiance to finish remodeling our house, finish putting in our orchard, get our gardens going, and am looking forward to marrying her in September.  I grew up watching my mother doing canning, sewing, smart shopping, and prepping for times of short money or no food.  I grew up watching my father build things, hunt, and generally being a rare example of strong, earnest, honest manhood.  He gave me the love of keeping an orchard and keeping bees (which we hope to add soon).

Thanks to Sister Wolf for bringing TSP to my attention.  It's been awesome.  I'm looking for more people to bounce ideas off of, learn from, teach, and work with.  Thanks to Jack for creating such an excellent resource and being a constant source of inspiration for my and my soon-to-be-wife.  I don't know that I could have broached many of the subjects with her the he has done, nor half so well.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #6080 on: April 03, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Howdy Bruuuuuu, welcome aboard.  Watch out for Sister Wolf -- she drags people over here and they end up becoming forum admins. ;)

Welcome to all our new members!

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #6081 on: April 03, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
Wanted to drop on in. I'm from Michigan, currently in set-up mode after relocating the tribe. You don't realize how much stuff you have prepped until you have to move it all.
l'm in the mitten too, we're (Wife and two girls, 3yr and 9mos) in Berkley, thinking about moving to Ray.
Looking at my preps and the thought of moving looks even more daunting!
Welcome!

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #6082 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
Welcome to all of the new folks!

On a side note, I think Glen Tate might be the largest single fisher of forum-men other than Jack himself... it's amazing how many folks have come here after reading 299 Days. Good job, Heavy G!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6083 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
Hello all! This is my second time coming to the forum.  It was a little overwhelming to begin

Oh.. don't let us intimidate you, just jump in. Most of us do not bite  ;D

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6084 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:27 PM »
and amateur blacksmith. 

Welcome to another amateur blacksmith.   ;)

Cedar

Offline easttnprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6085 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
Hi, everybody. I live in East Tennessee obviously. I'm married with a son. I am proud to be a Marine Corps veteran. I been into prepping for 5-6 years and have been a TSP listener for 3 years or so. My extended family owns a little bit of land here but lately I have been looking to purchase 10+ acres myself. Some of my interest are gardening, orchards, food preservation, hunting, livestock, chickens, bees, weapons, and defensive tactics. Proud to be a TSP listener and part of this community.

Offline bruuuuuu

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6086 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
Welcome to another amateur blacksmith.   ;)

Cedar
Thanks for that.  I just moved a couple of days ago, and unearthed my forge pan an gloves.  It seems that I left the anvil, but it's only a short distance away, so should still be retrievable.  When I say "amateur" I really mean it.  I do it for the love of it, but inexpertly.

Offline 3hr_farm

• Prepper
  • Living the dream, three hours at a time
    • The three hour farm
« Reply #6087 on: April 04, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
Hello All!.  I'm currently living in South West Georgia.  I'm married with three great kids and one more on the way in October.  They're 4, 3, and 11mo.  I've recently discovered Jack's podcast (maybe 6 months) but am slowly chipping away at the archives.  My brother got me into prepping when I got out of the Marine Corps.  He's a bit more on the Alex Jones tin foil hat crowd so it was nice finding Jack and his more common sense preparedness.

We have 2 acres here that we are trying to make as productive as possible.  The wife has 11 laying hens and 1 duck that we gather eggs from.  It was 2 but there was an incident with an owl.   >:( 
I raise meat birds for the family.  I've been raising Bourbon Red turkeys for the past 4 years.  In the past I've always just ordered them from the hatchery but this year I'm trying to incubate them from eggs.  I currently have 14 in the incubator and the girls almost have another clutch ready to sit on.  Last year I rose 24 Cornish cross meat chickens.  While it was nice putting all that meat in the freezer, I'm not going to do that again any time soon.  It was a solid 2 days processing them all.

We have put in 22 raised beds in the back yard because the soil here is so horrible nothing would grow. I'm hoping to get a better output this year.

I've added 2 bee hives this year.  The hives are ready and we're just waiting on the "fat bee man" to call and tell us the nucs are ready.
I look forward to talking to everyone more in the forums.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #6088 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
Hi, I'm soupbone from NE Ohio..... wait a minute, I've done that already. It's been too long since I've checked this thread. WELCOME all new folks - don't be afraid to jump into the discussions, the chat room, and all other ways of accessing the forum. Like Cedar [our Resident Wise Woman] said, most of us don't bite, though some of us crotchety old geezers may try to gum you a bit. KIDDING! It never fails to amaze me the quality of people this forum attracts - it makes for a good flow of information and a lot of fun. Make sure you check out the 'Around The Campfire' thread to see our other side.

The probability is that the world won't end tomorrow, so there is time to listen and learn, and to teach what you know to others. Knowledge, unlike supplies and equipment, cannot be lost, stolen, broken or used up. Relax, kick back and enjoy your stay here.

soupbone

Offline MI_Engineer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6089 on: April 04, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Hello, Im Chris from SE MI, I work in the engineering field primarily with machinery/vehicle vibration. I've got two kids, 2 and 4 months, an a supportive if a bit apprehensive wife.

I havent started prepping heavily, Ive got some arms, some tools, etc but am light on food and redundancies. I have a passion for metal and wood working as well.

I live is a small subdivision on the edge of suburbia, my lot is just under two acres and semi wooded. I currently back up to 100+ acres of marsh and wood lot.

Been listening to the how for about a year now and am finally ready to join the community, looking forward to getting to know some faces around here!