Author Topic: Emergency Water Bucket For Modern Wells  (Read 10220 times)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
Emergency Water Bucket For Modern Wells
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
EMERGENCY WATER BUCKET SYSTEM
As we all know, a source of water is absolutely imperative for survival. Folks who might be stuck in the city during a long term disruption in daily life will have a serious issue in obtaining clean water, but folks who have their own wells in more rural areas will have a bit of an upper hand.
That is what this post will address.
My well is an older hand dug well from back in the 50's, so I have a rather large well opening for a standard size bucket system. But the majority of your modern drilled wells are approx. 6 inches in diameter. It would be a next to impossible task to obtain your water without some type of bucket system. This hopefully will show you how to make a bucket system sized for a modern well.
A very good friend of mine, TSP Forum member "123123" (who is a lurker here, but visits us almost every day  ;D ), built his bucket system and I asked him to assist me in showing you folks what he conjured up.
Materials:
If your well is 6 inch diameter you will need 4inch diameter PVC pipe approx. *14-18inches long depending on how much water you want to pull up out of the well.
Preferably what they refer to as Schedule 40 pressure PVC pipe. A seal pressure cap will be added to the end.
Also you will need an approx. 2 inch long 1/4 inch screws well as a 1/4 inch washer and a captive nut to attach the silicone "foot valve" in the bottom of the bucket.
A silicon material that is cut from a kitchen use heat pad/pot holder was used to make the foot valve.
You'll probably need a 5x5 piece of material about 1/8 inch thick to shape into the valve.
THIS IS THE KITCHEN MAT MATERIAL WE USED:

Take your end cap and mark a drill pattern for holes going around about 2/3 of the diameter:

Then drill your holes in the cap.

Remove the 5x5 piece of material from the pad, and lay the material over the top of the cap using the holes as a pattern.

Then cut a rough shape "V" in the top of the silicone material making a rough heart shape. Shape up the material so it comes out into a rounded out shape that will fit inside the base of the cap.
The "V" has to be cut into the material to allow the material to seal inside the concave shape of the cap.

Then drill one hole dead center of the base cap in order to mount the "foot valve" inside the cap with the screw.
Put the silicone flapper "Foot valve" inside the cap. Run the screw up through the cap with the screw head on the outside of the cap,then place the washer and the nut like so:

Keep in mind to keep everything lined up because once this is all put together, you can't reach this stuff anymore.
Also do not over tighten the nut because it will make the washer cut into the silicone causing leakage.
Once you've got the valve installed use a large bowl of water to submerge most of the valve to ensure that you have proper flow into the bottom. Then lift it up and out to make sure that it seals up as well.
Now it's time to start assembling the body of the bucket.
123123 used this to cement it all together:

Oatey PVC Cement.
Using the Cement apply it about 2 inches up from the bottom of the pipe and a little around the edge of the body where it makes contact.  MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT MAKE ANY CONTACT WITH THE VALVE MATERIAL.
The Top Of The Bucket:
To add the top part of the bucket, We used a 4 inch diameter end-to-end PVC  connector and a 4 inch to 3 inch reducer.
Using the cement, glue the reducer to the inside of the connector and then glue the pair to the top of the pipe.

After you've done this, you'll need to add some holes to each side of the bucket so you can put a rope through.

Run your rope through the holes in the top. and you're set. All you need now is a pulley and something to mount it to.
I suppose you could try dragging it up out of the depths by hand, but a simple pulley would make it a lot easier and quicker and safer. To access the water, you will have to pull your pump and the wiring. There may be a fair amount of work involved in that, but not all of them are the same.
Also you might want to consider a well cap like this:

That will help keep various contaminants from getting into your water source.

Even if you don't have a well like this, you might want to look into something like this, simply because if you have to bug out to the country and make your way into an area where to surface water is questionable, you might find a well with decent water.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:58:08 AM by Patriot2980 »

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Emergency Water Bucket For Modern Wells
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:03:11 AM »
nice... cool idea, gotta love the K.I.S.S factor there

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
    That is an awesome idea. How much water would you get at a time? I'm guessing a gallon or two. Does it need to be weighted to fill up or is the PVC pipe heavy enough to sink it all the way? Prepping your well to use it the first time is going to be a real pain. Depending on the depth I think mine is a couple hundred feet. All that cable and pump is going to be real heavy without a crane.

Roknrandy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »
This is a similar design from a couple months ago at the alpha-rubicon sight. Theirs is 3’ long which gives about 1.5 gallons every time its raised it out of the well
Have you tried it yet because I'm curious to see how well it will work. I'd hate to try this at my brothers house, his well is 250' deep  :-\

http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitive/wellbucketspitfire.htm

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
    That is an awesome idea. How much water would you get at a time? I'm guessing a gallon or two. Does it need to be weighted to fill up or is the PVC pipe heavy enough to sink it all the way? Prepping your well to use it the first time is going to be a real pain. Depending on the depth I think mine is a couple hundred feet. All that cable and pump is going to be real heavy without a crane.

You'd get about a gallon of water out at a time, which might not seem like much, but I don't think you'd want to be dragging anything more than a gallon at once out of the depths of your well.
That would get pretty heavy after a bit.
The bucket itself should be weight enough to let it sink.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Great info, thanks. Sounds like I have a winter project. :D

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »
+1 I'll have to make one of these for the house. I had been looking towards hand pump additions to the existing pump, but they are $$$$ and wouldn't be used at all if I can help it. This is a great standby for the just in case scenario that won't empty my pockets.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
+1 I'll have to make one of these for the house. I had been looking towards hand pump additions to the existing pump, but they are $$$$ and wouldn't be used at all if I can help it. This is a great standby for the just in case scenario that won't empty my pockets.
  That's what we would like to do also, but $$$ is the thing.

Offline 123123

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
Thanks for posting this Patriot:Unknown you are a good friend and an asset to this board, also thanks for bringing the camera!

This is just what I come up with while looking for a answer of how to get water with out power. Some folks have used a "real" foot valve via a reduser, and others have used a flapper like in a toilet. A little time at Lowe's hardware will get you on the right track. It don't matter just as long as you have water, and you don't lose it down your well. Rember a gallon of water is over 8lbs so don't build it to big. You just need water not to test your rope, knots, and your upper body. Also its a good idea to tie off the end of the rope just in case you lose you grip.

Now on to building the well house!

Edited for ID mod.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:03:30 AM by Patriot:Unknown »

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
Thanks for posting this Patriot2980 you are a good friend and an asset to this board, also thanks for bringing the camera!

This is just what I come up with while looking for a answer of how to get water with out power. Some folks have used a "real" foot valve via a reduser, and others have used a flapper like in a toilet. A little time at Lowe's hardware will get you on the right track. It don't matter just as long as you have water, and you don't lose it down your well. Rember a gallon of water is over 8lbs so don't build it to big. You just need water not to test your rope, knots, and your upper body. Also its a good idea to tie off the end of the rope just in case you lose you grip.

Now on to building the well house!
Glad to see you come out of the shadows for a little bit!
No problem, bro. Glad to do it.
I appreciate you letting me photograph it and show others.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
Such a great project. I think it needs a "bump" for the new people to see.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
I have see a old bicycle use to make a winch to lower and raise one of these devices.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »
Nice one.  I had thought about this myself once, because I had considered how we would be able to get water from a well if the power were out, and no genny, or other means to pump it out.

What got me to thinking about making one then, was the fact that my dad has one in the top of one of his garages, from when he had a small general store back in the 70's and had some for sale then.

I spent many a day back then as a teenager minding the store, and had the survival mind-set even back then. The first time I saw one, I thought that it was a pretty smart invention then. The bucket was galvanized tin, about 4" in diameter, and about 3' in length. He still has it, and so I will end up with it some day, but I still thought that one made of PVC would do in the mean time, and just in case I could not get to it to use.

I was not to sure about what material that I would use for the foot valve, so I really appreciate your post for that reason. I also have a couple of friends that live close by ( within 15 min. walking distance ), and I was thinking of making them each one, because I'm pretty sure that they are not prepared for this possibility.

I'll give them each one with the provision, that all I want in return, is some extra water from them if needed. I even know of an old abondoned farm that still has the well casing for the farm, covered  and still intact. If needed, I'll even go there, and take along a five gal. container or two , to fill while I can. The nice part of that one is the fact that it is about 200 yds. from where I am now, and the approach is pretty well shielded from view by the rest of the neighbors, so that I have a good amount of OPSEC for when I may need to do this.

BTW... they also have an old, working cistern. I happened to come across it accidentaly some years back when doing a bit of RECON on the property for these possibilities. It is very well hidden, and others will probably not find this source. Another good thing about this, is the fact that it is a few hundred feet away from the well, and hidden from view by anyone that may have the same idea about using the well for this same reason. So, I figure that if for some reason there is someone else doing the same thing that I am thinking of, then I will go around, and drop my well bucket in the cistern for some extra water, and remain unseen.  ;)

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
That is a very cool idea.....simple and effective.