Author Topic: The advantages of the .22 rifle for survival  (Read 39626 times)

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
The advantages of the .22 rifle for survival
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone. I will be the first to admit there is no "one best" gun, knife, pack, etc. for every situation, no matter how much fun those debates might be. With that said I would contend the .22 rifle is perfect for survival in the majority of circumstances.

First off, it is probably the most accessable gun in the U.S. or Canada at any given time. Most shooters started out with it and are very familiar with it. It is also reguarded as a "toy" caliber by lots of folks, and has not been subject to the restrictions of the anti-gunners as much as the larger calibers. Also any place that sells any type of ammunition will have some type of 22 rimfire ammo available.

Even the most radically designed semi-auto 22 will probably require less maintenance and cleaning than a centerfire. Most of us probably know of a .22 that has sat in a closet or behind a door for decades with next to no care, but still could be safely shot.

The low weight and bulk of both rifle and ammo give it a very definate advantage. For about the same bulk and 50% more weight you could have 500 .22 rounds vs. 25 12guage shells.

The .22 is perfectly cabable of taking any small game at suprising ranges, and is a favorite of poachers in my area for whitetail deer.(not advocating illegal activity, just making a point of capabilities) There are reliable sources of 300+ yard shots with the humble 22 that show enough retained energy to do serious damage.http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

One of the main arguments heard for survival guns is for military type semo auto rifles for their capability of defense. While i will say there are instances where this could be an advantage, it is greatly overstated IMHO. Unless you are already part of a larger group where all members have training in small unit tactics, marksmanship, camouflage, and other fieldcraft, the idea that you could repel an invasion of 10-20 marauders with your SKS is best left to the story books. If you don't believe me, I suggest you get 15 or so folks to try to hunt you with paintball guns or simunitions, and see how well you fare. IMHO, for most SHTF situations, remaining low key and unseen/unheard will be the way to go. For this the .22 is ideal. With a legally owned supressor, or a plastic soft drink bottle and some shaving cream (again, only pointing out possibilities) the .22 will not be heard more than 100 ft away.

Sorry for being so long winded for a new guy. Again, saying there is one best gun is like saying there is one best golf club for Tiger Woods or one best tool for a carpenter, but the .22 rifle should be in every prepper's bag of goodies.

djturnz

Re: The advantages of the .22 rifle for survival
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »
I had read that post about shooting the chicken and I was quite impressed with the results.

Also, for surviving in the woods, you would probably be better off shooting small game because I think it would be difficult to mantain the meat from a deer for as long as it would take you to eat it.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
.22LR is definitely a good survival round.
I do like my centerfire calibers, but a .22 is kind of of the everyday workhorse of your firearms preperations.
Good post!
+1 for you.  ;D

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
I suggest anyone wanting to reduce to report of their .22 and remain legal or avoid the fees associated with legally acquiring a suppressor try what is called sub-sonic or standard velocity ammunition. I was using some at the range one day in my single shot rifle, shooting next to me was a guy with a suppressed Ruger MKII and he couldn’t believe my rifle was quieter than his suppressed pistol. It turns out he was shooting high velocity ammo which reduced the effectiveness of his suppressor but when I gave him a hand full of sub-sonic to try it was about the same as my unsuppressed rifle due to the difference in barrel length.

A .22 rifle with this ammo is quieter and more powerful than many pellet guns. While I wouldn’t use it on something like a deer it is more than capable of dispatching a squirrel or rabbit probably up to a coyote if you are close and place your shot well. One problem with this ammo is that it may not cycle properly in some semi-auto firearms due to their lower energy. I have a 10/22 and a pistol that likes them just fine but my dad’s Beretta doesn’t like them at all.

I highly recommend CCI Standard velocity and some of the Wolf match ammo. I have used both in competition and both have been reliable and accurate. I would not recommend the Aguila SSS as all the shots I have taken on paper using this ammo resulted in key holing and poor consistency. I also would be cautious of the Remington sub-sonic as I have a box that is useless as it is manufactured to such poor tolerances it will not chamber in any of my .22s.

loudlikenature

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »
Everyone should have at least one 10/22 with a thousand rounds. :)

djturnz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
I have used the Subsonic snipers (60gr bullet in a 22short case) and the super colibri (20gr? bullet, no powder just primer) in my Ruger MKII pistol.  I like the super colibri.  It won't cycle the action, but at 15yards it was still accurate and very quiet.  They warn against using them in a rifle due to possible squibs.

They work well in my suburban neighborhood of 1/4 acre lots for dispatching rodents when necessary.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
I  put away 5000 rounds of 22 ammo per rifle instead of the standard 1000 since reloading rimfire cartridges can be done but it is really a last resort kind of thing. In addition to 5000 rounds of standard 22, I keep 1000 rounds of shorts, 1000 rounds of CB caps, and 500 rounds of subsonics per rifle. Probably more than I will ever shoot but could make for good barter if times get tough. I am not sure of current 22 ammo prices but a brick of 22 rounds (1000) used to cost $9 so putting away lots of ammo was not a huge drain on the budget. Specialty rounds cost more but I aquired them over time.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »
The 22 is one of the best investments any rifleman can make the uses and advantages are so numerous as to be hard to list in one place. 

1.  While many fans of tactical rifles and shotguns would call the person with a 22 outgunned in any gunfight it is not always the case.  A survivalist is not by definition also a militant.  Most of us view firearms as a means of defense and if you had to defend a home with a rifle a 22 can do the job.  Is it ideal, hell no, but shoot a man in the head with a 22 and as I have said before death does not come in degrees.  Could you hold off a squad of marauders with centerfire rifles with a ruger 10/22 probably not but you would play hell doing it with anything if you were heavily out numbered.  In the end a wise man hopes that his weapon is never fired in anger anyway, it could happen and I would not grab a 22 first but if I have to fend off invaders with a baseball bat or a 10/22, well you get the point.   ;)

2.  Target practice is essential for prep if you ever need to fight or even just survive on harvested game.  To be a good shot one must practice, with a 22 that is cheap and it brings a reality to shooting airguns can compare with.

3.  Training a new shooter should always to me start with a 22 not a cenerfire.  Even a 223 can develop flinches, jerks and squints in a new shooter.  With a 22 if they are there at least yo will see them and be able to address them. 

4.  Ammo storage ability, storing 5000 rounds of 223 is a bit tough, try 308 or 30-06!  But 10 bricks of 22s won't take up to much space and can be had for well under 250 bucks.  Carrying 100 rounds can be done with jean pockets!

5.  Noise levels can be very low if need be.  Like has been said with sub sonic or even simply shorts or CB caps. You would be surprised how quite "longs" are in a full length barrel too.  I have shot squirrels with shorts in the head at 25 yards, they drop flat.  The low report often does very little to scare other squirrels an they return much faster then with LRs. 

6.  You can IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE certainly take deer with a 22.  Put it in the ear hole and it will do the trick!  This should be for emergencies only but knowing it can be done is comforting.

7.  There is very little meat damage to rabbits, squirrels and other game with a standard velocity 22.  Shoot a rabbit with even a 22 hornet, 38 spc etc and you blow it to holly heck!  Shooting a small critter is pointless if there is nothing left to eat.

8.  Since they are easy to learn to shoot well new shooters can easily learn to harvest game and protect a home with one.  If I can be alone in defending my home with a 45 pistol and a Carbine or be aided by another with a 10/22 that can back me up and make shots count, which one would I choose? ::)

The 22 is simply not respected the way it should be.  I read accounts of an elephant being killed with one (Peter Capstick wrote about it) with a lung shot.  Not advised but it did happen.  Plenty of people have died as a result of a wound from a 22, they are lethal little rounds and they penetrate like you would not believe in flesh.  They are a weapon that is simply ideal for training and small game and usable for defense and larger game if necessary. 

In short I know a lot of people that down play them and call em names like "pea shooters" but I don't know of any of those people lining up to take a few of those pea shooter rounds in the chest at 25 yards.  I sure as hell wouldn't!  Again no way I would want a 22 as a main carry gun or consider it ideal for big game or home defense but you sure could do worse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:10:51 PM by ModernSurvival »

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
I have been thinking about getting a 22 for my next rifle. Thanks for the rundown on them. I remember shooting a 22 when I was a kid, and I loved it, but I never thought about using them for anything other than target practice. Besides I would like something to shoot small game with also.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
Small game breeds faster than big game and should be more available if case of a SHTF situation. Don't want to waste any meat by blowing it to pieces with a larger round.

Offline SymteX

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
A .22 with a can will work wonders.

Offline SymteX

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
Not trying to promote another site here, but this is a good post on another forum I frequent.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=785077&page=1

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »

They sure will! ;)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
Another thing to consider is subsonic rounds for target practice or squirrells, for quieter shooting if you live in an area where you want to shoot outside but have closer neighbors.

I'd also recommend a lever action .22, you never have to worry about lost magazines.  I have a BL-22 and it's a tackdriver.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 11:20:46 PM »
Any non gun owners out there who are thinking about buying a firearm should consider the fact that for $500 you can get a a .22 rifle, handgun and several thousand round of ammo. If you are on a budget you can get outfitted with a pretty flexible set up if you buy a few types of ammo and some spare magazines. I have 2 friends who that have recently decided on a .22 lately. One purchased a bolt action marlin at walmart for $100 ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925.asp )and it is a tack driver right out of the box. Its a lot more accurate than my 10/22 (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=39). My other friend got a good deal on a sig mosquito (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=30). It is a great gun but it is rather picky about the ammo. If you dont have the right kind it jams, some kinds worse than others. I have a walther p-22 (http://www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm) and I love it.I have head a lot of people describing the same ammo issue as the sig but that has not been my experience. Its not accurate at any distance because of the barrel length but it shots whatever ammo I put in it.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »
. I have a walther p-22 (http://www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm) and I love it.I have head a lot of people describing the same ammo issue as the sig but that has not been my experience. Its not accurate at any distance because of the barrel length but it shots whatever ammo I put in it.

You can get the barrel extension later on if initial cost was to much to start.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »
Marksmanship is another great survival reason to have a .22.  An AR-15 doesn't do you much good if you can't hit anything with it because you never practice, or if you have to mortgage the house to buy ammo to practice.

I'm really getting into .22s for practice because ammo is about 5 cents a round.  (A brick of 500 can be had for about $25.)  .223 is between 40 and 50 cents a round; 7.62x39 is maybe 25 cents a round; 9mm is maybe 20 cents a round, etc.  (All these prices are off the top of my head.)  I have a habit of getting a brick of .22 everytime I go to a sporting goods store.  Those bricks pile up pretty quick.  And would be outstanding barter.

Back to the point about marksmanship practice.  With a .22, I can practice putting iron sights or crosshairs on a target one thousand times for $50.  My AR-15 would be almost $500.  The stance, holding steady, trigger pull, sight picture, and quickly moving from target to target is roughly the same for a .22 or an AR-15.  I use a 10/22 for .22 rifle practice.

Speaking of moving from target to target, I have a great rifle range with steel silhouette targets on the .22 range which means I can switch from a 3 inch rabbit at 25 yards to a 6 inch bear at 50 yards and a 12 inch ram at 100 yards.  (All these dimensions are off the top of my head.)  The "ding" gives me instant feed back on whether I'm hitting things.  I can go back and forth quickly at different ranges with my .22 for a nickel a pop.

Practicing with a .22 will get even better when my .22 conversion kit comes for my AR-15.  I can get true practice with the weight of the AR and using my optics for a nickel a shot.  Wahooo.

I also use a .22 revolver to practice for my handguns.  I guess a revolver and a semi-auto pistol handle differently, and I don't have a .22 semi-auto handgun, but I bet firing thousands of handgun rounds in a .22 revolver has got to make me a better shot with a 9mm semi-auto.  It can't hurt, is a heck of a lot of fun, and doesn't cost much.

My .22 rifle and revolver are some of my favorite guns.  I use them more than any others, so that's saying something.

Mannlicher

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »
The .22 LR certainly has a place in anyone's survival gun collection.  It has limitations of course, but it would be very useful.

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good way to go for a suppressed .22?  I already have a ruger 10/22 and want one more .22.  Want it suppressed and ideally interchangeable with other guns - so maybe a barrel and not a whole kit-gun is better.  Open to whatever is most accurate, quiet and quality though. 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
Make sure suppressor use is legal in your state.  I think it is in most states (as long as you comply with federal law like the $200 tax stamp).  In my state, Washington, use of a suppressor is illegal.  Possession is legal, just not use.   ???  That law might change this year but it's current law.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 06:47:39 AM »
went shooting with a few buddies with: 40 pistol, 45 pistol, .22 rifle w/ scope, .22 pistol, and a 30-06 rifle w/ scope

after the 45 ammo dried up we were having the best time with the .22! imma get one once we've moved and settled

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »
Marksmanship is another great survival reason to have a .22.  An AR-15 doesn't do you much good if you can't hit anything with it because you never practice, or if you have to mortgage the house to buy ammo to practice.

This says it all - No matter how good the violin, much depends on the violinist.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good way to go for a suppressed .22?  I already have a ruger 10/22 and want one more .22.  Want it suppressed and ideally interchangeable with other guns - so maybe a barrel and not a whole kit-gun is better.  Open to whatever is most accurate, quiet and quality though. 

For the 10/22 I highly recommend the Tactical Solutions X-Ring barrel with the threaded end. I put one on my 10/22 and I’m very happy with it. They are very light since they are aluminum with a button rifled chrome moly sleeve. At 16.5” they are also a little shorter. Short and light makes for quick handling. A small amount of fitting may be required to install due to the slightly oversized shank but its usually no more than taking a little emery cloth to it. 1/2”-28 threads allow you to attach a suppressor which TacSol also manufactures.

The picture SymteX posted appears to be a TacSol X-Ring barrel and a Hogue OverMolded stock (same setup I have) but I’m not sure what suppressor that is.

As for your second .22 you will need to decide what you want and find out if you can get a barrel that is threaded or have some threads cut to match the suppressor. For your second .22 do you want a pistol or another rifle? If another rifle, I’d clone the 10/22 for simplicity and interchangeability of parts and accessories. If you want a pistol as your second .22 consider the Ruger MK2 or 3 and the Browning Buck Mark pistols. In their Pac-lite and Trail-lite product line TacSol has threaded barrels for those as well, making it easy to swap your suppressor from rifle to pistol.

That came across like an advertisement for Tactical Solutions didn’t it? I don’t have any connection to the company other than being a very happy customer.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
Let's not forget the .22 RFM or rimfire magnum. Louder, pricier ammo, but you lose little in portability of arms or ammo and gain some range

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
One of the things that I have not seen mentioned when talking about the .22 for defense, is that in a SHTF scenario, medical attention may not be as available as it is now. In a TEOTWAWKI scenario, it definitely will not be. What this means is that getting shot with anything that penetrates the body will be very serious. A gut shot will be a death sentence, slow and lingering. And painful.

In this light, even the most obtuse bad guy will do anything to keep from getting shot, especially if he saw the effects on friends. Given this, having a .22 with a thousand rounds left, will make a creditable deterrent. Much more, IMHO, than an AR with two magazines left. Think, here, of a couple of years post event, not just the day or week after. The sound of a bullet, any bullet, zinging past a bad guy will be enough to give him pause, and maybe reevaluate the situation.

As ultimo1 pointed out before, the cost factor of the .22 is something to consider. For $1,000, you can arm 2 or 3 people in your group or family and for the cost of a good AR, you can include a lifetime supply of quality ammo. This is something to consider if or when order is reestablished post event.

Just an old geezer spouting.....

soupbone

Offline mossyback

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
Excellent thread. Too many feel that bigger is better.

Offline scooter-skeeter

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
QuietMike...what kind of sling and sling swivels are you using on that Butler Creek stocked 10/22?  I'm currently trying to build a similar setup, just trying to decide between carbine (18" barrel) or the compact version (16" barrel), and the stainless vs. blues dilema.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »
I guarantee I can hold the top of my staircase with a 22LR. Would not be my first choice, would not want the scope on the gun, but I can put 10rds in a smaller hole, faster, with a 10/22 than anything else out there.

Besides, what better option for making numerous fast headshots on the encroaching zombie hoard? If someone loads the mags for me, I can fire a 10/22 at 1rd a second, accurately all day long.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
I'm liking my S&W M&P 15-22 (a .22LR) as a survival rifle:

What?  An AR (albeit in .22LR) as a survival rifle?  Consider this:

* weighs 5.5 pounds
* ultra reliable
* the looks of it could scare a bad guy
* inexpensive ($450)

It also lets you practice an AR for $0.03 per round.

This is not a thread jack about the M&P 15-22.  I never thought of the 15-22 as a survival rifle until I starting shooting it.  I can do everything the 10-22 can do--and can train you on an AR at the same time.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
I still vote for the 22 magnum, same size bullet, more powder, it's faster and has flatter trajectory. with mine I can head shot a rabbit at a 100 yards,  and the round is powerful enough to take a man sized animal with a proper shot.

This is my magnum research 22 MAG, SEMIAUTO with a Leopold 2-7x28 scope.  I hace a Volquartsen 25 round mag for it,

here is the difference in a 22 long Rifle, and 22 Magnum for those unfamiliar with it.

one of my 3 stockpiles of ammo for it, (1000 rounds, the only one I got a pic of)