Author Topic: Coronavirus sparks panic buying  (Read 7942 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Coronavirus sparks panic buying
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »

Reports that this is happening in NY and Hawaii. My patriot supply is saying 6+ weeks for delivery time.
Other claims are that if you order long term food from online stores, it may take forever to actually get it because they don’t have at the warehouse but that is just what some have claimed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/28/coronavirus-2020-preparation-more-supply-shortages-expected/4903322002/

Coronavirus fears empty store shelves of toilet paper, bottled water, masks as shoppers stock up

Costco employees were limiting shoppers to five packages of each and hand loading them into carts. As pallet after pallet was cleaned out, one shopper at the end of the line shouted out "The end of the line for the toilet paper and paper towels is right here."

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Coronavirus sparks panic buying
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Yep - mountain house earlier this week website went offline for orders, CostCO had been selling said items and all references to those goods vanished.

Mountain House website is back on like with a major chunk of items out of stock.  Also I think one item at CostCo came back online but at a real high price.

For what it is worth, we are seeing some signs that items that rely on China component are impacting the supply chain for both finished goods and as parts needed for complete items.

Right now I am back ordered on a nice radio transmitter....

Thrive another place that I have bought food in the past indicates very heavy order activity.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »
Good luck getting any LT from Walmart or Amazon.
Most is out of stock at Walmart.
Amazon is showing 1-2 months for delivery on most LT items.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:02:37 AM »

Reports that this is happening in NY and Hawaii. My patriot supply is saying 6+ weeks for delivery time.
Other claims are that if you order long term food from online stores, it may take forever to actually get it because they don’t have at the warehouse but that is just what some have claimed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/28/coronavirus-2020-preparation-more-supply-shortages-expected/4903322002/

Coronavirus fears empty store shelves of toilet paper, bottled water, masks as shoppers stock up

Costco employees were limiting shoppers to five packages of each and hand loading them into carts. As pallet after pallet was cleaned out, one shopper at the end of the line shouted out "The end of the line for the toilet paper and paper towels is right here."

Laxatives sell out also.

https://chaser.com.au/national/laxatives-sell-out-as-hoarders-try-to-make-use-of-excess-toilet-paper/?fbclid=IwAR1dzyRPsaR_st_vpFFlEXUbdvBjJpb5HyOFd4WYRy8zCZ90mO32fwRbS00

:rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »
Lol

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
We're about 50 miles outside of the nearest city.  Our grocery store was mostly stocked until the urbanites made the pilgrimage to clean us out this morning.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
Three trips to three different stores this week and all of them were well stocked. The one today had the entry lobby stacked with toilet paper. The place was more crowded than I've ever seen it, but no panic buying.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
No panic at stores I have been to.

Plenty of shoppers but people are really quiet.  There are obviously a lot of people who have a lot of gears turning upstairs right now.  Their ability to navigate the aisles with an awareness of others is impaired.  They are not being assholes or trying to get stuff over others, they just seem preoccupied.

Staples are pretty cleared out.  No flour (except the really exotic stuff), sugar, baking mix, instant potatoes, rice, yeast, baking powder, etc.  Like half of these knobs know how to bake...

felt liberating to be in there already prepared.  I grabbed a bunch of "treat" things for the family when the cabin fever starts getting to people.  A big pack of Oreos, more brats for a grill out, etc.  The wife has a bizarre and inexplicable love for Bud Light which I detest.  I picked up a tall can of it and stashed it behind some stuff in garage fridge to give her when she is stressed in a week or two.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 09:10:45 AM »

felt liberating to be in there already prepared. 

Yep same here. Saw lots of unusually large quantities being bought. Maybe that's panic maybe not but people where I went were well behaved.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
Staples are pretty cleared out.  No flour (except the really exotic stuff), sugar, baking mix, instant potatoes, rice, yeast, baking powder, etc.  Like half of these knobs know how to bake...

the big grocery store in town has a "case lot" sale every March and October, with staples and canned things being marked way down.  So when my baking daughter told me last month that she had opened the last 6-gal bucket of flour, I shrugged and said "I will get some at the case lot next month when it is cheap."

well... case lot started the same day as the governor cancelled every gathering over 100 people; the predominant church in Utah did as well, including Sunday services.   ::)

I went to the grocery store expecting to do my usual shopping.  No AP flour, just Baker's flour.  So I got the limit on that and told her to figure it out.

Also cleaned out was the produce section: potatoes, onions, carrots, all citrus, apples, and everything else was low.

felt liberating to be in there already prepared.

I salved my soul yesterday by going down to do an inventory of my food storage.  I found another bucket of flour my daughter had missed (yeah!).  And while we are low on some items, things I would like to restock, we are (mostly) set for a while.

The wife has a bizarre and inexplicable love for Bud Light which I detest.  I picked up a tall can of it and stashed it behind some stuff in garage fridge to give her when she is stressed in a week or two.

you are a good husband :)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
Yep same here. Saw lots of unusually large quantities being bought. Maybe that's panic maybe not but people where I went were well behaved.

Same here about well behaved.  But our stores got hit hard.  Walmart even had to suspend pickup program as they were overwhelmed with orders and missing many essentials.  Games in toy departments gone as people stocked up for unexoected extended Spring break.    And this is an area where there have been no cases of coronavirus, a dozen tests so far all came back negative.  In fact a doctor friend said our hospitals are empty with about 40% fewer patients than normal as second wave of flu season apparently skipped us.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
We are trying to limit our exposure as much as possible, but still ordering to restock as long as it is possible... the local Walmart is not accepting any more pickup orders at our local store. I had put in an order before they were suspended, so am hoping it will be ready to load in my car on Wednesday :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »
Yes, I felt good to the other day when standing in our storeroom, my wife appreciating me about being prepared.
I've already got another supply list started, odds and ends to replace/add to.
I'm (stupidly  ::)) kind of anxious to go back to both stores (G&W and Walmart) just to see the conditions/stock of what is gone and such.
As big as Walmart is and how much they stock, with over 400 huge warehouses here to serve their stores, it's amazing to me how fast they can be cleaned out. Thousands upon thousands of trucks are unloaded at their warehouses every day.

We are both pretty good about not being wasteful, both inside and outside of the house. Save that useful container that you just emptied.....save that cutoff piece of iron or wood for another project......etc.

So I think this is another time to hone up more of our saving/using skills for the next panic'ed time, if there is one. And I'm sure there will be, if we live long enough.
I keep ck'in my amazon subscribe&save daily, and my items are still not available yet. Items I wanted to get to extend my preparedness time. I'm well over 2 years, and want to hit 5 at some point. Some items are at or over 5 years.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 12:01:06 AM »
I went to my local meat "shop" maybe 10 feet of cold storage .....2 lb limit of Chuck.......50% of hotdog,chicken and streaks.

The wheels are turning ......we've all been here a long time....it's time too dance and help our neighbors.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »
Looks about normal on the elite's furnishings's.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 11:02:39 PM »

I am moving 60 rolls of bathroom tissue from my house to my mothers house tomorrow. I must insure they are covered with a blanket so as to not be visible from outside the vehicle

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 05:50:34 AM »
I am moving 60 rolls of bathroom tissue from my house to my mothers house tomorrow. I must insure they are covered with a blanket so as to not be visible from outside the vehicle

where have we gotten that toilet paper is a thing to steal....

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
Made a (probably last for awhile) trip to WM at opening time this morning. They are now closed from 11pm to 6 am for cleaning and restocking, so I thought it would be the best time to try to get a few things to replenish.

The shelves weren't empty, but I fully expect that the stock they put on the shelves will be gone in some categories by early morning -- particularly soups, all types of canned goods, pasta, rice, beans... they seemed to have a decent supply of tuna, chips, crackers, cereals, cookies... junk food... in the perishables, they were completely out of eggs, nearly out of fresh chicken and very low on most dairy products. They did still have a fairly decent supply in the fresh vegetables section, although certain things were out or nearly so (yellow onions, surprisingly).

People are trying to stock up -- the woman in front of me must have gotten the last of the eggs... she had 6 dozen in her cart, along with about 60lbs of potatoes and other things.

The housewares section was hit pretty hard... no more full shelves of dishwashing liquid, for example... probably only single cases of various brands (even at 6:30 am)

Got to admit, I didn't even look at the paper goods aisles...

I was one of only two people in the store wearing a mask and was the only shopper using a clorox wipe to clean everything at the self-checkout (including credit card keypad) before checking out... We'll be hunkering down now for awhile...

almost forgot to mention... they were completely out of fresh bread... the only thing I saw on the shelves were a couple of cases of hotdog buns... I'll be grinding wheat and baking my own bread, I can see...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:51 AM »
We were to go grocery shopping tonight but instead will buy online and pick it up for an extra $4.95, well worth it. If you have to go out and are anywhere near a grocery store or anyplace that sells food watch out for hysterical drivers. I just came back from out there and one woman cut me off at an intersection as she went through the stop sign and then the next. She pulled into a dollar store, where I was going, and I saw what she had in her cart; cans of food she had never eaten before in her life judging by the kind of car and clothes she had.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »
Neighbor just got back from Target with toilet paper. She seemed relieved but the panic stuff seems well mitigated around here. You can get what you need but momentary disruptions happen.

Another neighbor works in distribution for Target. Her view is that supply chain remains strong so weather a couple rocky weeks and things should stabilize. Even my local grocer tends to have changing shortages because a run on milk or eggs lasts a day or two and then goes back to normal.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
where have we gotten that toilet paper is a thing to steal....

Holy cow.  The Cincinatti crew is taking this seriously...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
Holy cow.  The Cincinatti crew is taking this seriously...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
The new Mr. Whipple.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »
So I get to town, hit the tire shop for a tire. Business as usual there.
Post office to mail a package. Gal wipes the counter and card swipe after each person.  8)
Hit the bank, only the driveup is available and ATM. No walkins.
Hit Walmart and the front looks fine. Produce is 90% I'd say.
Get to the back and it's like it's been raided.
Of course no TP or PT. 2 packages of napkins on the shelf. Paper plates? Huh, no.
Only bags of foam plates and bowls.  ???
Big #10 cans and such at the Grocer aisle, gone.
Bread, 4 packages of Rye. Yea, I'd leave it to.
Peanut butter and jelly. Gone.
BEans, rice, canned soup. Gone.
Baking section about wiped clean, exception of 3 cases of chocolate for baking.
No sugar, flour....
Pasta products, macaroni, gone. 4 boxes of spaghetti left.
All packages of dump in a pot with water and heat, gone.
Olive oil hit hard, as well as cooking, corn oil.
Mac n cheese gone.
Oats and cream of wheat section, wiped out.
Candy aisle, hadn't hardly been touched.
All wheat type, fruit bars hit hard.
Cereal section, gone. Syrup almost gone except for the expensive maple syrup.
Powdered drinks, gone.
Clorox, gone. I bottle of bleach tablets left. I got that.
Anything disinfectant, wipes, liquid, gone.
Anything dish soap, had been picked over hard.
Meat and cheese, ample supply. Milk, good.
Coffee been hit hard. So I grabbed another bag of beans that we buy anyways.
Canned vegetable, about wiped out. They just put in 12 cases of chile beans while I was standing there. I grabbed 6 cans. I went light, as we usually buy 2 cases at Wally or Aldis.
Water, about half of whats usually there. Coca-cola man was there restocking, cussing. Something about I just ef'n did this yesterday...... ??? ;D ;D
Anything saltines or oyster crackers, gone.
Snack crackers still in good shape.
So, for our little town of 5,000 shoppers, to me it looks like most still do a lot of cooking instead of buying a lot of the prepared items and snack stuff. The freezers were still full of frozen veggies, pizzas, etc.

So most shoppers were looking excited, shaking their heads, or mouping around.

So around the corner I hit Dollar Tree. Store in in excellent shape except for....yup, TP. Paper towels, and couple dozen left, limit of 4.
Canned meat was lower than normal.

Then I hit our little grocery that has survived Walmart.
It has been hit, but looked surprisingly in good shape.
Only bare shelf was the TP. PT were about gone, but the Depends shelf was full up.  ??? ??? :rofl:

Butter was on sale, but the salted was sold out, so I got the unsalted. 2#'s for 5 bucks.

So, this will more n likely be the last trip, except for hitting Aldi's up for canned goods when we go pick up Mr. Bacon. He's ready to come home.  ;D

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
my grocery store was limiting 2 items per household.   That is 2 of any one item.  And 10# of any one produce item.  Signs posted everywhere.

Made it kind of difficult as I was grabbing a few things for some elderly neighbors.  but the cashier was understanding when I explained it, and let me get away with 2 bags of oranges.

The farm store was fine (we are filling up our pet food).
Home Depot was normal
Hobby Lobby was more empty than usual, and a worker was washing all the carts as people were done with them.  (we are grabbing some last minute craft items for things to do)
The budget grocery store - the one with post dated food or smashed boxes - was as full as ever with candy, treats, protein bars, etc.  The fridge section was more empty, but honestly, I have seen that before.  It is a weird store and you can never be guaranteed to find anything you want except candy bars.  Honestly, it didn't look any different from any other day.

I have a dr. appoint tomorrow in Salt Lake, so we will try to hit a Costco on our way back home, but maybe not.  We'll see.  With the earthquake, things just got a bit more crazy there.  We did feel that here, a little. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
We buy our dog food at the farm supply, but cat food at Walmart.
Walmart had been hit hard there on the dog and cat food. Both aisles almost empty. I snagged a box of the canned kitty food I buy (2 left), but her dry food sacks were not in stock. We had just bought an extra sack a few weeks ago.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
We shopped for groceries for online pickup. The earliest pickup date from today, Wednesday, will be Sunday.
This is from someone in Ohio: "Crazy here at the grocery stores: some limit 2, 3, or 5 of a particular item. Some slob ahead of me at one store where there was a limit of 5 had a cart full of stuff way more than that limit - she got in a big argument with the cashier, who could not take anymore cursing from her, so he walked away, and I had to wait till a new cashier arrived."

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
Oh no!

https://www.king5.com/video/syndication/veuer/massive-toilet-paper-robbery-over-coronavirus/602-0e476973-3bc7-49b4-a034-40d5551e21fe
Massive Toilet Paper Robbery Over Coronavirus

someone walked into my local police station (!) and stole the toilet paper from the bathrooms.  :o