Author Topic: YouTube shooting, Nasim Aghdam  (Read 164 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
YouTube shooting, Nasim Aghdam
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
EDIT by Mr. Bill: split this off from the thread in Current Severe Emergency Situations since the emergency has ended.

Female shooter.

I suppose it's good to see women breaking into traditionally male roles....

*ducks behind couch*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:26:41 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Female shooter.

I suppose it's good to see women breaking into traditionally male roles....

*ducks behind couch*

reports were that she had a "head scarf" so this story will get swept under the rug real quick

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
reports were that she had a "head scarf" so this story will get swept under the rug real quick

Can't find anything about a head scarf, just that her face was covered with what somebody called a "shooting mask" (wut?) and she was wearing "full body armor".

---
Edited to add: Ah, another article says she was wearing "glasses and a scarf".

The allegedly-eyewitness accounts aren't matching up too well at the moment.  I think people see and remember what they believe they saw, more than what they really saw.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Ask ten people to.describe a single car accident and you will likrly get 20 differing answers Mr Bill.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Ask ten people to.describe a single car accident and you will likrly get 20 differing answers Mr Bill.

Cedar

Thats also generally what happens when you ask 10 libertarians their opinion on something.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Thats also generally what happens when you ask 10 libertarians their opinion on something.

Nope, just human nature, regardless of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, political leaning, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.

Are there that many LIBRARIANS still at work in the US?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/youtube-shooting-nasim-najafi-aghdam.html

Persian descent, vegan activist body builder.

Many sources suggested her animal rights videos were considered too graphic by youtube and censored.  They included skinning dogs live, and other rather unpleasant imagery that youtube took issue with.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
Re: YouTube shooting, Nasim Aghdam
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »
I'm seeing lits of snippets of info about her, with not-very-well-substantiated evidence, but the general picture seems to be: Born in Iran, shared the Baha'i faith with her family, emigrated at age 17-ish with her family (I assume because of persecution of Baha'is), age at death about 39.  I can't tell whether she had any income source other than ads on her YouTube videos, but she was clearly furious about the "censorship" and loss of her ad income.

ArsTechnica has some background info:

Tragic YouTube shooting casts new light on creators’ “adpocalypse” complaints

...We can start by rewinding to roughly one year ago when YouTube and its parent company, Google, began facing a public backlash from advertisers. This "adpocalypse" arguably became most inflamed when the UK government froze all ad-spending on YouTube in March 2017 after finding that its ads had been slapped onto "extremist videos" without the government's consent. Other major advertisers, American and abroad, followed suit. More alarmingly for Google, advertisers kept doing so after YouTube offered assurances of changes and overhauls.

The proposition for advertisers was simple: so long as their ads might appear on questionable videos of any kind, they made the smart business move of bailing.

YouTube's response was equally extreme: a sweeping expansion of its "age-restricted" video designation and, thus, a "demonetization" slap on any videos that fell on the wrong side of that label. ...

YouTube's automatic filters have wreaked demonetization havoc through a wide swath of video types, including those about conservative politics and LGBTQ issues. However, keeping track of which videos are impacted (and for how long) is itself quite difficult, owing to how many channels may be temporarily hit only to have those strikes reversed after an inefficient reviews process. ...

According to ChannelMeter's unofficial estimates, Aghdam had racked up nearly 9 million video views across three channels since roughly 2013. ...

Most of her top-performing videos were uploaded with titles in Farsi script, and an immediate scan of the titles revealed that all three of her top-performing videos included the word "سکسی," a Farsi transliteration of the word "sexy," in the context of workout and exercise videos. ("Make your butt sexy and bigger with exercises" was one example.)...

These titles do not clarify the exact content found in her videos, but they do suggest that Aghdam's account could have been a perfect-storm candidate for either innocent or rule-breaking content, with views in the millions, being demonetized by YouTube's auto-moderation bots.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
Tim Pool's initial investigation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtfkT84wFYY

Doesn't appear political... a very mentally strange individual.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
I was surprised when YouTube turned off all the income producing ads on any low-traffic channels recently... don't quite understand the reasons behind it, but it obviously seriously rocked her world. I don't have that many YT vids, but I had allowed ads on a couple of them... even the ones that have a few thousand hits (and no content that should have been problematic) were turned off. I think I recall the text on the notice of the change saying something like you had to have 4000 + hits on a particular video within a pretty short period of time to qualify to offer ads.