Author Topic: Planting 1 Million Trees  (Read 3214 times)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Planting 1 Million Trees
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »

This is in response to Episode 1576, regarding planting one million trees. I have long been thinking about this as well, maybe through this thread we can get something started. I agree with Jack as to planting edible species mostly that be for wildlife or human consumption. The last thing we need is another monoculture even if we are planting a million apple tree's. I've found several sites for a million tree's etc, but all look to be just natives or simply city plantings of smaller canopy trees and the such.

Since I've purchased some property every time I visit I plant a few nut/fruit trees or shrubs, I've done a few large orders from Lawyers for seedlings and our state program as well for trees on the cheap.

I've been thinking more of a tree a day, for every day your alive. Imagine what that would do? It seems like allot, but if you ever really spent time planting small seedlings you can get many planted over a few days. It's my personal goal to do this I just need to simplify a plan and put it into action. If you figure you'll live to 75, that's only 27,375 trees...so might as well plant 4 a day and make it to 100K ;D

I had been brainstorming some ideas for a kickstarter type project for this, lets see what others have to say.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Planting 1 Million Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Interesting idea, i'll be planting trees on my new property once i get there.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
I think it would be cool to calculate out how many trees the average person in the US uses in a lifetime, for paper, wood, rayon, etc., then figure out how many trees a day you'd need to replace just your use.  From there, see how many other people's trees you could replace.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »
When I was an editor for a newspaper in British Columbia,  I was invited by the 'forestry' to plant the 1,999,999,998th tree planted in BC. A little girl who was 4 years old at the time planted the 2,000,000,000 tree. I was sad and happy at the same time that it was not marked to be different. I turned around a couple times and it disappeared into the other thousands on that ridge.

This year I have planted 42 fruit trees. And I have another six I still have to get out of my fridge. Maybe I will get those fig trees planted today.

Cedar

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »
Yea, i've been busy here with our whopping 1+ acre, got around 60 various tree's and shrubs/vines planted since the fall.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
I like the 1 tree a day thing! now for the places to plant them? Where would we want to have them planted? does anywhere work?

Also what are the legalities of just planting trees where ever?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
I am shooting for planting a half million in the next year myself, as seeds.

I need to order some sample packets soon to get my planting methods unkinked.

Offline Semorjh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
Planted 10 fruit trees this week. Clear some more for firewood and replant again this fall. Should be thinking about all the fruit bearing (berries ect)

Offline RSWarne

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Brian storming at work ...

1 Million Trees (Decentralized)
NEEDS mission statement?
Leave no trace, leave a legacy
Get in the grove
Growing ...

Easy Way
1M trees / 50 states —> 20,000 trees per state
   20 trees each time 1000 people per state is easy
   Documentation if desired
   Propose new goal of general tree planting at 10M

Better Way?
1M Guilded tree groves with food producing varieties
Issue - location
   Establish next succession in mowed city park space with aging existing tree stock
   Target New housing developments
Issue - maintenance
Issue - stock supply
Utility line location issues

Do we need guides for species and variety selection for various habitat and locations (rec regional organizers put together information and then publish on central website for future use.

Tree man drive through neighborhood plant on demand with care flier (sponsorship by nursery)(nursery donate surplus trees)

Contacts and Resources
USDA Conservation District Office (watershed rehabilitation)
Arbor Day Foundation
Re-Leaf Project