Author Topic: SloSheepdog installs an Esstac Card shotgun side-saddle, and you can too!  (Read 6641 times)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
What have we here? It’s a package! Sent from the ninjas at SKD:

It’s a birthday present to me! Some rail covers for the Black Rifle and some long-procrastinated Esstac Shotgun Cards :)  Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to SloSheepdog. Happy birthday to me!

The Velcro also came the same day from Amazon, 2”X4’. Let’s put this Esstac Card on the ol’ shotty, eh? Here’s a paper I used with a pencil to help me cut the Velcro correctly.

It’s going to be sweet! I did clean it with a soapy sponge and dried it off really well. I'm not too worried about it though. I have some experience in industry using various adhesive velcro and it's really ridiculously strong if you get the good stuff.

I now have a furry spot on my shotgun. I think I like it. Yeah, I like it. Kinda makes it more… soft and fuzzy? Easier to cuddle with? Wow this got off-track ;)

And here it is all loaded-up! 7 on the esstac card plus 8+1 in the gun makes 16 rounds max, though I don’t store one in the chamber which makes 15 rounds of 1300 fps buckshot!

Yeah, that was fun. Here’s one more:

The 12 ga cartriges were really tight going in and out, to the point that it would be hard to grab one quickly with one hand. I assume they'll loosen up a bit with use.

Oh, and if you’re curious about the rail covers from the first pictures, here they are:

I know Dark Earth is the cool-guy thing right now, but my favorite color is green. I almost went for all black but it doesn’t really matter to me.

I'll post up when I eventually get to the range. Won't be soon :( but when it happens, I'll share. Thanks for reading!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
That front sight and gas block looks so sexy

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Thanks TWH.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
That velcroed ammo holder seems like a great way to place some extra shells on a shotgun that doesn't have aftermarket holders available. Could likely work for my Fabarm.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
It sure should! The esstac cards hold 7 rounds, and are therefore a bit long. It fits on my Mossberg 590 fine. I suppose if used with a semi-auto then it wouldn't matter if the card extended forward just a bit since you wouldn't have to worry about clearing the pump.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
It sure should! The esstac cards hold 7 rounds, and are therefore a bit long. It fits on my Mossberg 590 fine. I suppose if used with a semi-auto then it wouldn't matter if the card extended forward just a bit since you wouldn't have to worry about clearing the pump.

Good to know about the length, and it's been a concern of mine. I have a vanilla 500 and the fore grip is much longer than yours. I'll either have to cut it down or replace it. I'll probably try cutting it down first, and if I ruin it then I'll replace it.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Good to know about the length, and it's been a concern of mine. I have a vanilla 500 and the fore grip is much longer than yours. I'll either have to cut it down or replace it. I'll probably try cutting it down first, and if I ruin it then I'll replace it.
There's some nice foregrips out there. I just like the one on it just fine, though I would like a light someday. You could also probably cut the Esstac Card down to six or five rounds, making it shorter. The rounds appear closer together than the alternative solutions from Mesa Tactical or Tacstar. Or you can just slap it on further back. Or rotate them 90° and stick two of them on there vertically! LOL.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
I thought about cutting the card but I would be worried about fraying down the line... although if it's a nylon blend I could probably melt it with a little heat. Maybe I'll attach the card to the top of the receiver instead of the side...  ::)

I'm taking the 500 quail hunting in a couple months and might tinker around with it after that. I've never been hunting and the last thing I want to do is start a project and mess up, then have to wait for funds to fix it and miss out on hunting.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Absolutely. Enjoy the hunt. I've only ever hunted rats, spiders, and other unwelcome visitors. Someday maybe I hope.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Yeah, i hear you. I've wanted to go for years and finally have the opportunity. These area are on my short list for after the hunt.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Front sight is on backwards, isn't it?   :/

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: SloSheepdog installs an Esstac Card shotgun side-saddle, and you can too!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Didn't notice that before... It might be... I found a pic of one with a sight that looks similar to yours:

You may have to ignore the belt fed awesomeness to look at the sight though...

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: SloSheepdog installs an Esstac Card shotgun side-saddle, and you can too!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
I can't even see anything except the awesome. I patterned the mossy shotgun last week too. My #4 buck spreads out twice as much as 00. And it was fine pulling out the cartridges from the Esstac card. Very fun.