Author Topic: What's the maximum power for a hand held?  (Read 8455 times)

nkawtg

What's the maximum power for a hand held?
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
I just recieved two Baofeng UV-5RL radios the other day and while unboxing the radios I noticed the watt rating on the back was 7 watts. I know the UV-5R transmits at 4 watts. Is there a legal power limit?

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What's the maximum power for a hand held?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
The maximum power output on 2 meters is 1500 watts

you can figure an output much closer to 4 than the 7 listed  ;)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
I just recieved two Baofeng UV-5RL radios the other day and while unboxing the radios I noticed the watt rating on the back was 7 watts. I know the UV-5R transmits at 4 watts. Is there a legal power limit?

For Amateur Radio on the 2 Meter band, the legal limit is 1500 Watts PEP.  So, you're good :-)

If you're going to use them for MURS (legal gray area, beware), turn down to 2 Watts.

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Something to be aware of with Baofeng products is that what's reflected on the labels isn't necessarily what's actually on/in the radio.

There has been some internet buzz on various suppliers adding their own labels to batteries & radio's  which misrepresent what the radio actually is. Basically, a UV-5 is a UV-5 is a UV-5, no matter what the letter designation is.  There are cosmetic differences between the various UV-5 models & that's really all. 

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Something to be aware of with Baofeng products is that what's reflected on the labels isn't necessarily what's actually on/in the radio.

There has been some internet buzz on various suppliers adding their own labels to batteries & radio's  which misrepresent what the radio actually is. Basically, a UV-5 is a UV-5 is a UV-5, no matter what the letter designation is.  There are cosmetic differences between the various UV-5 models & that's really all.

Are you sure? I know I read / heard somewhere that the accessories, such as battery packs or battery adapters, are not all interchangeable between the various UV-5whatever radios.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
Yes, a Great Deal of Net "Hullabaloo" about the very thing mentioned above...

the 7w sticker was one point of interest as well as one vendor stating the included Battery was larger (Ah) than it actually was.

now, you are correct that the Extended Battery will only fit the Original UV-5R with no mods, it will if most of the others, with a little dremel work!

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »
For Amateur Radio on the 2 Meter band, the legal limit is 1500 Watts PEP.  So, you're good :-)

If you're going to use them for MURS (legal gray area, beware), turn down to 2 Watts.

Those 1500W HT's really eat the batteries too. Just sayin'    ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
Are you sure? I know I read / heard somewhere that the accessories, such as battery packs or battery adapters, are not all interchangeable between the various UV-5whatever radios.
I'm sure that all of the UV-5 variations we've equipped our SAR team with have been completely interchangeable....but it wouldn't surprise me if what you've read is true for earlier models vs. later models.  Buying this radio is a trade off...value vs. convenience.  We needed lots of radio's for our team & we needed to spend not much cash.  We're a not for profit entity & pay out of our own pockets for everything we do & for all of our equipment.

One point of annoyance is the firmware changes that occur within like models, but aren't often advertised when going to purchase the radio online.  I've had to set up different programming pages for the different versions of firmware in the same model UV-5's.  What that means is that the radio will operate whatever frequencies you may already have set up on a programming file, but the advanced/extra features won't work.  This causes you to have to set up a different programming file based off the new firmware in the radio & copy/paste all your frequencies from your original page into the new page & then save it separately. 

It's probably not a big deal for someone who's only going to buy a few radio's but I have to keep track of up to 50 of these things & it gets to be a PITA.

In the future all of the radio's we buy for the team are going to be UV-82's.  IMO it's a better radio for the same price & SO FAR I haven't had the firmware issues to contend with.  The UV-82 comes with a beefier ear bud/lapel mike & dual PTT's which makes it easier for our team members to monitor dual frequencies & for team leaders to talk to IC & the various agencies that we often work with.

My apologies for the continued thread-jack  :dev:

Perhaps we need a dedicated Baofeng thread? 

Offline lowwattliving

• Prepper
  • lowwattliving on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
I have another question. Is it true in some way that a better antenna can make up for having lower wattage? I can see how this might work with reception but how does it work with transmission? Or does it work the same with both just backwards?   

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
In a nutshell from what I understand yes a good antenna can make up for a less powerful amp.   

It is semi-sort of like measuring horse power at the crank versus at the wheels....

The LNA (low noise amp) filters, etc can also have a major impact on the quality of the transmission / and reception.   Good placement of an antenna is very important consideration. 

And it was wonderful to spot Dev back online.   Dev; your a moderator, your allowed hi jack the thread.  While the 82 looks interesting, I figure it's a new year and wonder what new h/w will be hitting the shelves.

Next question I would ask, would I want a hand held pushing how much power right next to my head without running with a mic? 

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:56:18 AM »
I had an 82 here for a while to program for an Elmer.
I liked the feel of the radio (better than my UV-3r+ and Wouxuns), but never got used to the dual PTT.
The 82 feels more like a Public Safety Unit...

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
Here's a quote I recently heard at a ham class, from a guy that has been a ham for longer than I've been alive:
"If you have $4,000 to spend on a radio, spend $3,500 of it on the antenna..."

Yes, you can buy or build an antenna that will provide essentially free power upstream and downstream, as opposed to an amp or higher wattage radio that only transmits the higher power.  In most cases, if you have a crappy antenna, it doesn't matter how much power your radio has.

I have another question. Is it true in some way that a better antenna can make up for having lower wattage? I can see how this might work with reception but how does it work with transmission? Or does it work the same with both just backwards?   

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
Here's a quote I recently heard at a ham class, from a guy that has been a ham for longer than I've been alive:

+1

Anything you can do on the antenna end; better ground, better coax, more elevation, etc. will pay immense benefits. I’d rather add 5 foot of mast to a good antenna than up my output power by 100 watts. It’s that important. 

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Most typical, and Ive never metered one that didnt stray, UHF is 4W and VHF is 5W.

1W will get you 1 mile line of sight, no obstructions.  So in the woods, hilly terrain, inner city, etc.. etc.. your distance will be diminished.

GL,
TOG

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »

Yes, you can buy or build an antenna that will provide essentially free power upstream and downstream, as opposed to an amp or higher wattage radio that only transmits the higher power.  In most cases, if you have a crappy antenna, it doesn't matter how much power your radio has.
Yep...this^^

& this
In a nutshell from what I understand yes a good antenna can make up for a less powerful amp.   

It is semi-sort of like measuring horse power at the crank versus at the wheels....

And it was wonderful to spot Dev back online.   Dev; your a moderator, your allowed hi jack the thread.  Thanks! :dev:

While the 82 looks interesting, I figure it's a new year and wonder what new h/w will be hitting the shelves.  Me too...& I'll probably line up to buy that too   ::)

Next question I would ask, would I want a hand held pushing how much power right next to my head without running with a mic?  Eh, I wear/use a radio just about every day & I try to use a hand mic most of the time.