Author Topic: Salsa anyone?  (Read 6139 times)

Winchester32

Salsa anyone?
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:35 PM »
I have gone a bit overboard with tomatoes this year, having nearly 100 seedlings as of right now.   :o

I have paste/roma tomatoes and beef steak tomatoes.  I plan on making catsup and sauces, as well as canning stewed tomatoes.  I would also like to try my hand at salsa, but am without a recipe. 

Does anyone have a good mild to medium salsa recipe they would be willing to share?

Thanks!!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Salsa anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
Salsa...yum.

I hope someone does post a good recipe.  I've also been looking for one for a while.

Offline something_feral

• Senior Survivalist
    • Something Feral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:37:16 AM »
Pico de Lime-Cat

This is roughly the recipe I use for the appetizers when we have a holiday dinner (and it doesn't matter what holiday; I always get railroaded into making this):

4-5 medium to large tomatoes, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Jalapeno peppers, split, scraped and minced
2 Serrano peppers, split, scraped and minced
4 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped (remove stalks below first leaves and discard before chopping)
2-3 limes, juiced, add pulp without seeds if desired
1 tsp salt

Mince the garlic with a chef-knife, and add salt to grind to near-paste. Mix with lime juice and pulp.

Mix tomatoes, onions, peppers and cilantro. Mix in garlic, salt and lime-juice mixture and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Serve when ready, and watch your fingers.  ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
We made this recipe last Summer.  Turned out really good.  I originally found the recipe on the Mrs. Survival forum.

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.

Makes 6 pints

Winchester32

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing the recipes!  Can't wait to try them.   :D

Notsonutso

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »

Annie's Salsa is excellent! Sugar can safely be eliminated, if you choose.  Keeping the total amount of peppers (hot and green) you can make this as hot or as mild as you want.  I use all hot peppers...woo hoo!  It is the best home made/canned salsa I've come across.  Note to the recipe, use 1/2 inch head space. I found the original recipe on The Garden Web forum:
 http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
Yum... Darn those peppers and tomatoes are growing slow...

Offline millwright

• Survivor
  • Cold War Relic
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:43 PM »
If yer makin salsa.....tortilla's are a must. A lot faster and easier than bread.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
millwright:

Do you mix your own tortillas or use the Harina preparada? I have used that and it is amazingly easy (my 10-year old likes to make them). The only trick is to use boiling hot water to mix up...

J.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
I would also like to know about the tortilla situation, I have been trying to make whole wheat healthy ones with no luck any ideas?

Winchester32

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
I would also like to know about the tortilla situation, I have been trying to make whole wheat healthy ones with no luck any ideas?

My mother & I learned to make our own tortillas from an old school mexican lady (which is how she refered to herself).  She just used flour, shortening, a bit of baking powder and water.  We never even measured it, just learned what the consistency should be.  Then they were rolled out about small burito size, with a wood dowel, and cooked on both sides on a cast iron grill.  The lady had also used hot rocks when she was a kids.  They tasted great and were very soft.  Just needed a little butter and nothing else.

She also taught us to make a great sweet treat using the same recipe.  After the dough is rolled out, it is cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips and then a smaller split is put in the middle and the strip is turned into the small split, so it looks twisted.  The they are fried in hot grease.  They will puff up like a scone, and then they are rolled in sugar and cinnimon.  Yummy!  I guess it would be akin to the crustos you get at Taco Time, only twisted.   ;D

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Not sure about the tomato sauce and tomato paste, but we are hoping to try this tonight. Does it really mean 16oz of the little cans of tomato paste? That would be like 3 cans. Also, do you use cider vinegar or white vinegar?

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
Pico de Lime-Cat

This is roughly the recipe I use for the appetizers when we have a holiday dinner (and it doesn't matter what holiday; I always get railroaded into making this):

4-5 medium to large tomatoes, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Jalapeno peppers, split, scraped and minced
2 Serrano peppers, split, scraped and minced
4 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped (remove stalks below first leaves and discard before chopping)
2-3 limes, juiced, add pulp without seeds if desired
1 tsp salt

Mince the garlic with a chef-knife, and add salt to grind to near-paste. Mix with lime juice and pulp.

Mix tomatoes, onions, peppers and cilantro. Mix in garlic, salt and lime-juice mixture and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Serve when ready, and watch your fingers.  ;)

This is basically the same recipe I use (though I do not measure anything)  I have added some fresh thyme, gives it a little more rustic flavor.  I have also tried oregano... though it has tended to turn out better without (could be the store bought maters  :o ... I know... I know)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
Not sure about the tomato sauce and tomato paste, but we are hoping to try this tonight. Does it really mean 16oz of the little cans of tomato paste? That would be like 3 cans. Also, do you use cider vinegar or white vinegar?
If you are talking about Annie's Salsa, then yes, it calls for 16 oz. of paste.    I think that I used cider vinegar, but not completely sure.