Author Topic: Programming a Ham Radio (baofeng UV-5R+)  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
Programming a Ham Radio (baofeng UV-5R+)
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
I am new to Ham radios and I am working towards getting my Tech/Gen license. I just got in a baofeng UV-5R+ and want to program in some frequencies for my local area/region 1.

I am using the CHIRP software and was wondering if someone has a data file for New Hampshire and/or Maine with vital frequencies that I can use/upload.

Thanks and Stay Safe!

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Programming a Ham Radio (baofeng UV-5R+)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »
I do not...but I think CHIRP will allow you to pull information from "repeater book" to add to your radio. 

click "Radio" tab. then "Query Data Source" then "RepeaterBook"

make your choices from there and it should import all the information for the area you requested.

Hope that helps! Good Luck on your test!

SCW

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »
OH!!! Remember to read from your radio first before you try to make any changes to the software!

FWIW there is a Huge Thread dedicated to the Baofeng on ar15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I do not...but I think CHIRP will allow you to pull information from "repeater book" to add to your radio. 

click "Radio" tab. then "Query Data Source" then "RepeaterBook"

make your choices from there and it should import all the information for the area you requested.

Hope that helps! Good Luck on your test!

SCW

Thank you SCW! I will look into that. Some others from another forum said to check with my local small town PD for the freqs.

Stay safe!

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:53 AM »
for public service freqs Radio Reference is the place to go:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »
I second repeaterbook.  I pulled in a bunch of local repeaters and it was very simple.

I also added a bunch of local PD/FD frequencies to be able to monitor them.  If you do this, I would recommend you disable transmit on those frequencies so you don't inadvertently key up.

See the top example:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP_Examples.html

There is another way to do it also, but this site is quite reliable.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
I second repeaterbook.  I pulled in a bunch of local repeaters and it was very simple.

I also added a bunch of local PD/FD frequencies to be able to monitor them.  If you do this, I would recommend you disable transmit on those frequencies so you don't inadvertently key up.

See the top example:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP_Examples.html

There is another way to it also, but this site is quite reliable.

Awesome! Thank you... I did some programming over the weekend and I think I have a good data set.

Stay safe.

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
I have to say we use RT Systems software and cable with our 857D, VX-6R and now with the Baofeng.  The great part is, they're pretty interchangeable.  It's darned near as much as the radio, BUT if you have a few of the Baofeng's(we have a couple and my buddy has 4), it's WELL worth it.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
I have to say we use RT Systems software and cable with our 857D, VX-6R and now with the Baofeng.  The great part is, they're pretty interchangeable.  It's darned near as much as the radio, BUT if you have a few of the Baofeng's(we have a couple and my buddy has 4), it's WELL worth it.

Thank you for the lead on the RT systems software. We will have to check it out.

Stay Safe!

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Thank you for the lead on the RT systems software. We will have to check it out.

Stay Safe!

Not a problem at all.  It's especially great when you can copy across files from one radio/RT Systems software to the Baofeng one....that's where the value lies.

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
Not a problem at all.  It's especially great when you can copy across files from one radio/RT Systems software to the Baofeng one....that's where the value lies.

I take my wouxun, read it into chirp, export the data to a .chirp file, import that into a baofeng image, and write it.  I have 3 UV-5R's and one Wouxun.  All programmed exactly the same using this method.

I also have the same set of memories (below 128) on my Anytone 5888, and my Yaesu VX-3.  I have local airport frequencies above that on the last two.  And I keep commonly traveled airport frequencies above 760 on the VX3.  I use the yaesu software to write scan groups. 

The RT software is over priced.  They should sell software modules for different radio types with a base software (includes one module).  Easier to maintain, and easier to sell.  If they did it that way, I'd have impulse bought their stuff a few months ago. 

Offline apainter

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »
I am hearing but not found anybody who has done it (yet) that the Baofeng UV-5R+ will also work on 220 Mhz which would make it a tri-band HT.

Has anybody tried (and got it to work)?

73's