Author Topic: Dealing with trespassers at your bug-out location  (Read 48475 times)

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
Dealing with trespassers at your bug-out location
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »
I am looking for ideas on how to make our property more secure when we are not on location. We have 44 fenced acres in the white mountains of Arizona, and are only there every other month or so. The property has three older travel trailers, and some outbuildings. This past week we found that they were each broken into and everything had been gone through. As far as we could tell, the only thing stolen was a deep cycle battery, but it sure does tick one off! As we walked the fence and added new "no trespassing signs, we could see where someone had backed up their truck and used the truck bed to jump over the fence and into our property. Other than posting warning signs, and being there with my shotgun cocked, what else can we do. We don't exactly want to call the local sheriff to come for a visit, because we like the fact that we are so remote. We aren't out to make any enemies who might live in the area, but because of the nature of the area, it has been difficult to meet the neighbors.
 Any suggestions??

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Dealing with trespassers at your bug-out location
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »
Tough question.  I think that you first need to make a point of meeting your neighbors.  Since you are not there often, they are your only real connection to your property.

I think that you should leave the travel trailers as they are.  If they return and see the trailers as they left them, and they know you have been there, they may think that you haven't done any work there.  I also feel that any preps that you put there will need to be hidden well or stored in a way where they can't get to them.  Anyone know how easy it is t break into one of those shipping containers? 

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »
We use shipping containers as construction storage.  The lock systems are tough to break into, but not impossible for determined thieves.  Bolt cutters don't generally work, but a torch will do the job.  Rings of thieves near the border or ports hit them regularly.  We sometimes park heavy equipment in front of them to make access to the lock mechanism and doors  tougher.   

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
Thanks for your response Fritz; you offer some good suggestions for dealing with the problem. Having recently acquired this property, we arraigned to have the soil perc tested while we were away and the property was in escrow. Apparently the realtor or the soil testers left the main gate wide open, and that made for easy access into the property. We already cleaned up and re-secured the trailers. There really isn't anything of much value inside of them, it's just that it is tough spending the night in the front seat of the truck when this kind of thing happens. The previous owner only had one break-in over the ten years that they owned the property. Contributing to this latest break-in was the fact that he left an old refrigerator stocked full of hand tools that was locked up...but not for long, and whoever it was used the tools to gain access.
 I have a feeling that the current economic/moral climate in the country might have something to do with the increase in area crime. Anyway, thanks!

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »
occeltic,

I don't know if you have electricity or not, but a motion lamp could scare away a thief, if they are a thief of opportunity. One that drives by everyday, or watches your place for a while will figure out that you aren't there, and chance it. Something as simple as a battery powered door alarm could chase off a thief. The one I used to have was about the size of two penny rolls and had a key on the end with a keyrings attached on either end. You attached the alarm body to the door frame, and the key to the door. When someone opened the door, the key pulled out and you had a loud alarm. I know you said it's remote, but just giving them the thought that someone is there could deter them. 

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »
Try one of these signs..

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »
Realistically it's hard to secure rural & remote property.  My advise would be to store nothing of value there unless/until you can get by the property on a more frequent basis.  Making friends with the neighbors is definitely a start though.

Look at storing your valuable gear at a local (to the area) storage facility if one is available.  Even that's a bit of a compromise & not necessarily any more secure than what you have on your property.  The one redeeming factor about a storage facility is that there is irregular traffic in and out and that makes it harder to pattern for a potential break in.

It's a bummer about your stuff, sorry that happened. >:(

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »
TRAILCAM!  Battery powered, motion tripped.  Get one of the models with an IR flash so the humans can't see it, and then hide it well, or it too will be stolen/busted to pieces.

AND... You'd be surprised how effective a communication/warning tool four freshly dug graves can be too!  Don't play, dig 'em at least 6' deep and pile the dirt in between them.  You can figure out a lot of reasons you SHOULD'NT be standing there while standing there, staring down into the bottom of those pits.

Tim.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »
There's a property down in Kenai Alaska that I pass on the way to my fishing area.  There's a property I pass that very obviously has a driveway/road with a full sheet of  plywood hanging over the driveway.  In traffic accident marking orange paint, it says "There is nothing on this property worth your life".  No skull and bones or any other markings on it.  Now knowing some of the "special" folks we have tucked away in our remote area of planet, there is absolutely no doubt that he is serious and I would never step foot on his property. 

The crazy factor makes it very effective.

Berserker Prime

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
I Vote, Shipping Containers for when your not there.
If your going to move there then you can not worry as much but you cant protect things if your not there.

If you just have it for SHTF then you will need to bury things. and put less valuable things in shipping containers.
Given time bad gys can get in anything.

Your on the right track, But making it harder is the key.

TXL0ngsh0t

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
1. Have a few of these printed up by a friendly sign maker:

2. Put enough solar powered motion sensors and cameras on the property with internet monitoring.

3. Put in a really, really big siren - think air raid siren. Wire it to a cheap alarm panel so anyone crossing the fence sets it off. Add a voice PA to the circuit.

4. Consider an electrified fence.

5. Put in some remote triggered explosives to simulate shotgun blasts. If you get an alarm and see an intruder via your iPhone, laptop, etc use the siren, PA and simulated shotgun to scare the crap out of them.

I plan to put in motion sensors, seismic sensors and cameras with IR and HI lighting. I also plan to build a fleet of robots to patrol my property and may arm them with non lethal weapons. If things really go sideways I can switch out the ammunition for something more effective. I plan to use a few fail safes to protect my family.

I'm working on designing some remote weapons stations which can be controlled from various central locations. Don't even ask about my UAV's. ;)
Basically, once I go on-site not even a raccoon will cross my property without me knowing it, being able to track it and dispose of it if needed. Anything bigger than that is much, much easier to handle. I'd prefer a team of well armed people but technology can make up for that shortcoming as much as possible.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Put up this sign...."Tresspassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again"

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
TRAILCAM!  Battery powered, motion tripped.  Get one of the models with an IR flash so the humans can't see it, and then hide it well, or it too will be stolen/busted to pieces.

AND... You'd be surprised how effective a communication/warning tool four freshly dug graves can be too!  Don't play, dig 'em at least 6' deep and pile the dirt in between them.  You can figure out a lot of reasons you SHOULD'NT be standing there while standing there, staring down into the bottom of those pits.

Tim.

I totally agree. The only thing better is those IP cams if you can get an internet connection so you can monitor in real time :)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »
All of your suggestions are awesome, and I truly thank each of you for taking the time to post to my question! It's funny that the idea of digging some six foot graves came up...my wife thought of that as well and is packing both a gun and a shovel!
I also like the ideas of placing some battery operated alarms, and since there is no power in the area, this may be enough, along with the sign, " trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again", to keep them at bay.
Thanks again!!

Offline vinny

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »
I think (I may be wrong cuz I'm from up north) you guys have something called Hantavirus down in your neck of the world. If you use your google-fu you can see some offical signs warning people that the property has been determined to have rats that have tested positive for Hanta and to stay out. I found one .gov sign for Santa Clara County. Hanta is bad stuff, I know it would keep me out ;)

Just to be clear---I'm suggesting the sign---not the actual virus/rats ;D

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefNNGdZJyKAA55ujzbkF/SIG=127p174ps/EXP=1238854349/**http%3A//www.flickr.com/photos/digitaltrav/578152131/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:15:44 AM by vinny »

bioboy

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »
if it's legal signs saying "Live trap line in place. Please watch your steps."  Owner of property not responsible for damages or loss of limb. ;D

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
Once again....my fellow survivalists, you have not only pleased me with your knowledge, but allowed me to have a good laugh as well! Thanks for your comments.

ken

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
Being there is probably the only way to truly protect your property.

Getting to know the neighbors is probably the next most important item.  In rural areas, a friendly neighbor is your best option.  People that live in the country, do keep track of who goes where, a very good resource.

Stop by your local sheriffs office and tell them who you are, pick up some business cards, and ask if they ever patrol the area.  tell them about your problem, and ask what they recommend, at least they will remember you, and it will help to put the problem on their radar.  It wont hurt to get them evolved, who knows they may actually drive by every month, ha. .

About all you can do remotely, is to try to identify the trespasser, its too late to keep them out, but would make you feel better to catch them, ha.

Maybe concealing an (IR flash) game camera to snap photos of whoever, set it up to catch them in the driveway if that is the way they will come.

A concealed VCR and camera,  set up with a motion detector switching them on might, work to identify the trespassers. 

Sorry there is not a lot that can be done, ....bear traps might be a bit much, but again it would be fun to catch the slime that way.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
My brother 'donates' a good bottle of scotch to his closest neighbor every time he goes up to his remote cabin. Keeps the neighbor happy and looking out after the cabin....

Offline TJ

• Prepper
  • I Lead, Never Follow.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Electrified, Concertina-wired fence. Post the neccasary signs and hook the fencing up to a automatically switching generator, if you have the $$$, probably the best you could do if you arent there often. I dont know if you can get battery backups for electric fence generators.

I like the minefield sign idea, hahah.

Also, you could get some massive-output light centers rigged to a perimeter sensor.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »
Can it be Booby Trap thread time now?

Ill start. 

If you aim this up and run the trip wire above head level it should be safe for 2 and 4 legged critters but scare them off. 

Depending on the configuration this could be a lethal/less then lethal trap as well.

take a wooden mouse trap, put holes in it to fit a round or several rounds of rimmed ammunition.  weld on a couple of bits of steel to the trap arm so they will strike the ammunition. 

I'm not responsible for accidents.  Mousetraps are very sensitive, though you can bend the catch over and make it a little harder to set off.  Of course then run some line to it and kablow! 

Maybe not the best idea as far as the possibility of accidental injury goes.  But would be good otherwise, give a perp and ass full of bird shot of the wire was run a good distance from teh actual charge.  Though is anyone else concerned with not killing an intruder and have them come back a 2nd time more prepared out of disgrace?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »
Thanks again for your suggestions Archer; I think you've hit the nail on the head with the bottle of scotch idea! In fact, I'm a bit thirsty myself on this late Friday afternoon. :D Perhaps I'll set up a little table at the entrance to our property with a few glasses and see who drives by! :D I appreciate all of the ideas you all are throwing my way, but I'll have to stay away from the land mines, trip wires, and motion activated flood lights, at least for now. We have large elk as well as deer and antelope that jump the fence and roam the property, so unless I'm prepared to store meat, I should stay away from this one.
The earlier suggestion that I visit the local Sheriff and introduce myself, where I live, and what I have recently experienced, is not really what I want to do. It's not that I don't want to be known, and it's not like I can't be found, but I'd rather try other routes first. The property is 14 miles off the main highway, and seven miles off of the semi-pavement, and unless you really know where you're going, you're not going to find it, so I don't think they will be up to an occasional drive by. For now, we will have to see if the work we did a few weeks back did the trick. We will be heading back up in a week, and are really looking forward to spending a few days there. It's really going to take living on the property full-time in order for us to really secure it. Until then, we won't keep anything of real value up there. Thanks all!

Hope all have a great resurrection Sunday! Keep the suggestions coming! ;D

Offline TJ

• Prepper
  • I Lead, Never Follow.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:04 PM »
We will be heading back up in a week, and are really looking forward to spending a few days there.

Im sure you would be, but be careful when you get on your property, theives are repeat offenders, and if they realized that you left for awhile again, they may have done nothing, or they may have called it thier own for the moment being. Just keep that 12ga. sholdered, haha.

i beleive it was either on Jack's podcast, or on the forums, that someone mentioned being smart when returing to your bugout loc. after a long time away, along with arriving during a shtf scenario.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
Thanks TJ. We know that our BOL is hard to protect, but because of its remote location we love it anyway. There are three older trailers/fifth-wheels there now as shelters, but they don't have much value. There is no power or water, as we are in the development stage of getting these set up for us in the future, so for someone to want to stay there, they would need to provide these things for themselves. We removed anything else that might be considered as having value, or that could be used to break into the homes again.
We think that it was someone local on a couple of motorcycles who saw the front gate wide open (a soil analyst "forgot" to lock the gate) and followed the road in. You can't see the trailers from the entrance, so it really took some guts just to ride in. The peace and serenity of being up there overshadows the fact that this happened, and we will gradually get a hold on the security aspect of having the property. I was thinking of having my brother-in-law stay up there, but he may be more of a problem than the intruders! :D

Offline TJ

• Prepper
  • I Lead, Never Follow.
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
Ahh, didnt know there was no power, I guess i forgot to read. I should of realized it from the talk of solar-powered things. Well good luck with setting it all up and watch for crazies on your way in, ya never know. I have awesome plans for my future bug-out location, but I oughta finish my last year of highschool first, haha. Wish I had a little more money to get some tools/firearms/food/ect.  Dang Nazi-wannabe Illinois. Gotta move, haha.

I'd always pick remoteness over (mostly) anything else, because remoteness is mostly secure if fortified. My ideal plan for a b/o location would be a small cabin-looking structure, but with a hidden underground area, because if someone comes, you show them your little aboveground homestead and some stuff, and they iether take it or not, and if it's the "goverment"  you arent on thier list of problem suspects. While, unknownst to them, you have a years supply of food, an armory, and a house underground, and you could grow some stuff aboveground and some belowground. Anyways, back on topic.

Good luck on the return trip and I hope ya'll get it in nice shape in the future, along with no more break ins.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »
Post a sign like this one:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:36:48 PM by Archer »

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Thanks Archer! I must say that that is one great sign! It is big, very instructive, and very self explanatory. Where can I get one? It's awesome!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
Thanks Archer! I must say that that is one great sign! It is big, very instructive, and very self explanatory. Where can I get one? It's awesome!
Here is where I found it. Not sure if you can buy it or anything. But you can download a larger version of it:
http://www.zoned.dk/plug.php?e=usergal&s=viewfol&fid=8

I take no responsibility for any of the other signs on that page.....

Offline TJ

• Prepper
  • I Lead, Never Follow.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
Here is where I found it. Not sure if you can buy it or anything. But you can download a larger version of it:
http://www.zoned.dk/plug.php?e=usergal&s=viewfol&fid=8

I take no responsibility for any of the other signs on that page.....

Site is down, or my net is bad.

That's a pretty nice sign. If I got any sign I'd go n borrow my friends 7.62 or his .50 beowulf and but a few rounds through the sign just to prove a point, haha.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
You guys have come up with some great ideas.

Have you considered the use of defensive landscaping (http://zombiehunters.org/wiki/index.php/Defensive_Landscaping)? The use of plants, rocks, and other types of landscaping to discourage intrusion, cause pain, and guide intruders towards a line of sight (such as surveillance or other).