Author Topic: How to Build a Rotating Canned Food Shelf  (Read 19080 times)

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
How to Build a Rotating Canned Food Shelf
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »
I came across this reference in Lifehacker.com and immediately thought that this would be a great application for our community

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Rotating-Canned-Food-Shelf

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: How to Build a Rotating Canned Food Shelf
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
I came across this reference in Lifehacker.com and immediately thought that this would be a great application for our community

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Rotating-Canned-Food-Shelf

Awesome. Bookmarked. Ive wanted one of these since I first saw one in mormon country. 

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
Really cool.  If only I had room for one of these!

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
Really cool.  If only I had room for one of these!

IIRC the one I saw was something that would fit an a closet sized area.  Im sure you could scale the project to fit in some unused space like a sort of cabinet system along the top of the wall etc. Or even as some have mentioned, make it look like a table or nightstand. 

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:25:03 PM »
i love it. +1 for you

killymcgee

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
Built me one as well a lot like this one.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=622496

Cost me about 80$

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
Very nice!
That is one of my summer projects.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
I love it!  Just printed out the instructions.  If I can't get me DH to build it for me I just might have to do it myself!

Thanks for the post.

homeshow

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:37 AM »
Excellent link.  the idea of a panty on casters for rear loading really works for me.  i use mason jars for home canning and jars on their sides? messy.  rolling the pantry away from the wall to load up with home made yumm yumms that rocks!!

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:04 AM »
Perfect timing.  I have been looking for something like this...trying to get everything organized.  On a side note...have any of you guys had any issues storing food in an uninsulated garage?  I live in SC, during the summer the temperatures in my garage can be 110+, during the winter it is never more than a couple of degrees warmer than outside.  It appears a shelf like this would be best suited for the garage...as in it would not be allowed in the house by my wife.

homeshow

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
wbo3  make it pretty with cabinet doors to match the decore in the house.  i can see her not liking ugly.  but she may meet you 1/2 way.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »
Built me one as well a lot like this one. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=622496 Cost me about 80$
That's a +1 for sure. Way to go!

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
I want to build something like this but the problem is that I have a bunch of different things and not a lot of one thing. For instance I have 15 kinds of soup but maybe only 4 cans of each kind. It makes rotating kinda hard.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
I live in North Florida and the summer temperatures in my garage can get pretty inhospitable.  Is there anything to preclude me from still trying something like this if I intend to rotate the stock, fully, every few months?

???

Captaincoolaid

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
Excellent idea. I have a shelfreliance system and while it was considerably more was easy to instal and somewhat portable

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
Can you do this with boxed items like Mac and Cheese?

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:07 AM »
Great find !  A +1 from me as well. I have found a couple of different ones like this and added it to the file that I created for them. Therer are so many different ones like this it is hard to choose sometimes the one you want, but I keeep them all, because each has it's own fundemental application,and place wherre it might fit better than another.

Projects like this one are really useful, and a great way to add to your skill set. Keep up the great job.  ;D

Offline DALE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Oldie but a Goodie
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Soon as I saw this post I built one the next weekend,,,had to buy a router bit, so that drove the price up.  I skimped on the shelf thickness, not thinking how notching for the dividers would weaken them...with the weight of the cans they bowed, so added some 1/8 all-thread to support them.  The finished product works great, just have to keep the kids from playing with it and mixing up the date order!

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
I live in North Florida and the summer temperatures in my garage can get pretty inhospitable.  Is there anything to preclude me from still trying something like this if I intend to rotate the stock, fully, every few months?

???

Heat is the enemy, and it would be a crapshoot IMHO as to whether the food would remain good. Any chance of keeping it in a closet? Or maybe building a closet in the garage with its own a/c? Or routing the house a/c into that closet? Just some loose thinking from a very tired soul.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
Heat is the enemy, and it would be a crapshoot IMHO as to whether the food would remain good. Any chance of keeping it in a closet? Or maybe building a closet in the garage with its own a/c? Or routing the house a/c into that closet? Just some loose thinking from a very tired soul.

Thanks for the ideas.  I think building a closet with an AC run might be possible.  I'll have to get the garage cleaned out first.  Time to build a shed!

;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
Interesting idea for a can rack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnXfO7YMfk

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »
Bumping since there's been some interest.

I'm hoping to build one of these soon.  I'm also going to show my wife the video.  That's really cool and I think we have space for that behind one of the couches.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »
Archer  - I like this one even better... seems more compact, less wasted space.  Take it from someone who stocked grocery shelves for a while, rotating is a pain. 

Both the designs presented on here are great.  Now I have a nice winter project to do.

+one to both of you.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
Did y'all see the hidden door bookshelf plans linked from the bottom of the article??  Pretty cool...

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Hidden-Door-Bookshelf

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:36:48 PM »
My question about the rotating can rack is 'why'?  If you are putting casters on it why are you wasting so much space by having the shelves be front-loading?  You're using enough space for that one type of can that you could have three or more shelves for the space you are currently using for only one.  It's on casters for goodness sake.  spin it around and load it from the back.  Then you could get three times or more the number of shelves.

I like the idea of the side-table storage better.

-Brian

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »
I'm thinking about a new design I'd like to build this winter.  I'm envisioning a piece of large, 3-4 inch PVC pipe, straight up and down.  Cans would be loaded in the top and dropped down.  There will be a slit cut down the entire front so I can see how many cans are in there.  The bottom of the tube will be cut so that I can remove one can at a time. Several of these pipes, bolted to a wall or sheet of plywood, could make up a lot of storge.  The best part is the instant rotation of food. Right now I just have basic shelves and I have to pull cans forward and it seems like I'm always finding cans I should have rotated already so I'm looking for ways to simplify this process.   

Kara

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »
The idea about the pvc pipe is a good one, and has been discussed elsewhere on this forum a while back. I looked at that idea too, as I want to store things between the studs in my basement walls. The only problem is that the weight of the cans from the top down, may make it hard to get the bottom can out, depending upon how many cans you have in the tube.

I love all the ideas posted here, especially that last one with the converted dresser!

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
I don't recall reading any other posts about PVC but it makes sense.  I must have seen it and forgot it.  I had thought of the weight of the cans but figured I'd have to be creative with a lever of some sort.
I really like the idea of utilizing the space between the wall studs.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
I don't recall reading any other posts about PVC but it makes sense.  I must have seen it and forgot it.  I had thought of the weight of the cans but figured I'd have to be creative with a lever of some sort.
I really like the idea of utilizing the space between the wall studs.

Here's the link to the PVC idea:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2408.msg23918#msg23918

The entire thread: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2408.0