Author Topic: MEL TAPPAN Survival Guns  (Read 11171 times)

Offline JPH

• Survivor
MEL TAPPAN Survival Guns
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »
I am looking for a copy of Mel Tappan's book Survival Guns.  It list on Amazon for $80-300, which at this point in my life I just can't do.

I am willing to "rent" the book and pay postage both ways if someone would be willing to loan a copy to me so I can read it and take note, if you paid the $100+ for your own copy this could be a great way to off set the cost...

Leave a message here or PM/Email if you can help...

Thanks,
JPH

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: MEL TAPPAN Survival Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »
 You might try Ebay, I bought my copy for about $10 including shipping. I knew it was a good deal, but I didn't know they were selling for that much on Amazon.

ps Maybe it might take awhile, they are high on Ebay as well.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
I too am desperate to read it, but like you, can't justify spending $100 on a book.

I just checked E-bay, there is one that ends in 7hrs, but it is still $56.00. If you don't care post on here if you start bidding on one, so I won't be bidding against you. No since in us jacking the price up for each other. I will let you know if I see a reasonably priced one on there, and give you "first dibs" since you started the thread.

Thanks for the tip to check ebay, I hadn't thought about that yet.

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
Hey Guys,
I grew up with that book and loved it as a kid/young 'un.  It formed a lot of my thoughts about working guns/defense guns/special purpose weapons and the like.  I have a copy of it but don't think I could part with it even as a loan.  :-[ However, I've been giving some thought to writing a modern version of this book (or at least something similar entitled "Firearms for TEOTWAWKI" or something) updating the themes with the new options that weren't available in the '70s (like SKSs, uber-ARs, SAIGAs, and all the newer designs).  I was thinking it would make a cool PDF if Jack or someone in the preparedness community would host it.  What do you think?  Would anyone be interested?  Even if it was geared for newer shooters (which the past few months have proven are entering the preparedness community in droves)? 
I'm not Tom Gresham, but I've been shooting since I was quite small and with a couple firearms collectors in my family I've actually shot many of the options available.  I've also read hundreds of articles in the old American Survival Guide, Survive, and other 80s/90s preparedness magazines and think I would enjoy the project.  :)
Any input/responses would be helpful so I'd know if it was worth allocating time for. :)

Offline JPH

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
I would back that project 100% and help in any way I could with my military experience. However I still want to read the original.

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:40:08 PM »
Thanks for your response, JPH.  It sounds like a project that at least one reader would enjoy.  ;) And I was thinking more about it and might be willing to lend you my copy of "Survival Guns" if you could help a bit with the shipping.  That is, assuming you're a decent upstanding person who'll return it when you're done. :) PM me with your address and I'll see what I can do.

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »
Actually, I looked at my copy and the binding is coming so and I'm not so sure I do feel comfortable shipping it across country.  Hmm...  Well, hopefully you can find a copy through your current efforts. :)

Offline JPH

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
I understand, thanks.

Anyone else have a copy?

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:25:25 AM »
I have a copy and while it was a great book in it's day, it's now hopelessly outdated. In all honesty you can't even buy (new) 90% of the guns he recommends because they are no longer made!  It's really just a historical reference at this point. Even when it came out I believe that it was not all that practical....the numbers of guns and the types that he was recommending were pretty spendy.....I suppose it's a little easier when your wife is an heir to the Mack Truck fortune......

Buy a copy of Boston's Gun Bible. The focus is slightly different but it is much more up to date and the advice given is excellent in every way. Not only does it talk about the hardware you need in great detail with exhaustive analysis (agree with it or not) but it also deals with ancillary matters like body armor and night vision, training and even more important to my way of thinking- Courage! If you read the many little chapters in the back of the book you get a pretty good foundation mentally for what is coming.....

That's more important than hardware anyway!

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
I agree with lawyerman about Boston's Gun Bible. Excellent read. He does go into excessive detail about why he chooses the M1A barely over the FAL, I must admit I kind of skimmed through a lot of his detailed analysis of every MBR he evaluated, but the information is there if I need it in the future. I do wish he would have focused a little more on instruction instead of just primarily equipment selection, maybe went half and half, but it is a "must have" for the survivalist library IMO

I am curious to know if anyone has read "The Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper. This book does seem like it may be heavy on the instruction end. Maybe the two could balance each other out fairly well? I don't know, I haven't read the book yet. I have been trying to talk myself out of spending the $30 on it. If I keep going like I am, I will have plenty of stuff to read if the SHTF, but nothing much to eat.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
OK, I know this thread has been dead for almost a year, but just in case anyone is interested and didn't know, the book has been re-released and is now available on Amazon for around $40 including shipping. I have one ordered and on the way.

http://www.amazon.com/SURVIVAL-GUNS-Mel-Tappan/dp/1581607199/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VIPF26F1QVTH&colid=33P7L52SZHAVU

Offline jimbridger1881

• Prepper
    • Gadsden Post
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
It looks like Michael Bane is working on an updated version of this classic book. He has posted the introduction to the book on his blog. Bane is well respected and a very good writer so I am looking forward to the completed product.

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-survival-guns-introduction.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:38:00 PM by jimbridger1881 »