Author Topic: Energizer WeatherReady LED folding camp lantern  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Energizer WeatherReady LED folding camp lantern
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
Pro: Two weeks’ worth of indoor lighting on four D cells.  Just enough features, good enough construction, inexpensive price (about $22).  Tough plastic, no glass.

Con: Not weatherproof, this is an indoor / fair weather-only camp lantern.

You can tell what this lantern is all about from its name (“WeatherReady”) and the claims on the package: “Light for over 2 weeks on one set of batteries,” and “135 Hours on Low Mode.”  It’s an indoor emergency light for when the power’s off for a moderately long time, and it’s actually a pretty good design.  It has a four-way switch: off, high, low, and night light settings.  It can either be used folded down against a built-in reflector to use as a directional lantern, unfolded to act as a sort of giant electronic candle, or bent anywhere in between.  Here’s a link so you can see what it looks like: http://www.energizer.com/lighting-products/preparedness/Pages/folding-lantern.aspx
(And props to Energizer for having an entire “Preparedness” line of lights and radios.)

In low mode it puts out enough light to just read by, while in high mode reading is actually pretty comfortable.  Even in low mode and set up as a candlestick, it puts out more than enough light to get around the house without stumbling, and the nightlight mode seems about right for its intended use.

Now about that two week claim... the footnote on the package says “Based on 5 hours of use per day using Energizer alkaline batteries on high mode.”  That comes to 70 hours for intermittent use.  Instead of using the recommended Ds, I installed 4 AAs inside of adapters and endurance-tested the thing.  Based on the mAH capacity differences of these two types of batteries, it should run for between 8 and 12 hours on rechargeable 1900 mAH NiMH AAs.  Results?  After running for 10 hours straight overnight, the light was still shining if somewhat dimmer -- the high setting was about like low setting with fresh batteries.  Switched it off and went to work, came home and the batteries had recovered enough to put out full light again.  So 70 hours on a set of four Ds is actually a believable number.  It might be 50 hours or it might be 80, but the 70 hour claim is in the ballpark and is more than just the usual marketing BS.  Whatever it is, it’s long enough that my two year old one is still on its first set of batteries, and I’ve been using it on camping trips and as a shed light for many tens of hours.  And if that’s not long enough, just use the low mode for about double the time.  It really doesn’t seem all that much dimmer.

On to quality of construction.  This thing is consumer-grade plastic, and nothing -- including the switch -- is weathertight.  OK, it’s a reasonably priced ($22) indoor lantern.  That’s its limitation, that’s what it is.  Deal with the “indoor” part, or go pay more for a weathertight lantern if that's what you need.  Working within this limit, my two year old lantern is still like new, and I like it well enough that I just picked up another one (that’s how I could read the stuff off the package for this review).

To sum up and close, it works for its intended indoor use, won’t break the bank, holds up to normal use, and runs for a long time.  Wish I’d had one after Katrina.  That’s about all there is to say.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Energizer WeatherReady LED folding camp lantern
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:39 AM »
I have TWO of these and like them as better than a candle light for the house. DAWG (see my icon) likes to carry one on nightly excursions during 'New Moon' days as ...don't tell anyone.....she is afraid of the dark.It is funny to track her and her light as she checks the perimeter for aliens.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:16:21 AM »
I have TWO of these and like them as better than a candle light for the house. DAWG (see my icon) likes to carry one on nightly excursions during 'New Moon' days as ...don't tell anyone.....she is afraid of the dark.It is funny to track her and her light as she checks the perimeter for aliens.

I now have ,and use,one of the newer,smaller,lighter,AA powered lanterns and LOVE IT. It is a bit smaller and with 8 (or 4) AA batteries it is BRIGHTER,THINNER,LIGHTER that the "D" cell versionand at the same cost ,I recommend it and AA ENELOOP cells that will give about 15 hours on BRIGHTEST (yes,it has a dimmer) setting and 50 hours on a dim but usable light level and it would be near PERFECT with the addition of a USB output (to charge devices,or be charged) and a normal wall wart type input and charger(NO SOLAR PLEASE as solar exposure damages the plastic light integrity) and rarely is one without a source of power to recharge a light these days....OK ,maybe an optional,plug in solar panel that does not expose the lights body to sunlight and THEFT.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0EZWCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:57:33 AM »
Looks like a worthwhile upgrade, Carl.  Thanks, I'll likely slip one or two into my Amazon cart between now and the start of [cue ominous music] hurricane season.  Nothing wrong with my old ones, I still use'em all the time, but I could use a couple more of them.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »
Looks like a worthwhile upgrade, Carl.  Thanks, I'll likely slip one or two into my Amazon cart between now and the start of [cue ominous music] hurricane season.  Nothing wrong with my old ones, I still use'em all the time, but I could use a couple more of them.

And a few more packs of eneloops.

I have been looking for a decent AA lantern.  Thanks.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:50 AM »

Brandi likes the way the slightly smaller/lighter light carries on her nightly perimeter sweeps...she is afraid of the dark.

Adding The AA powered light has SIX current controlled LEDs and the D lantern uses 8 LEDs for white light with ONE yellow LED for a night light that is 'regulated by a resistor and not the active driver of the AA powered lantern. Here is a side by side .

The AA powered is on the LEFT and D powered on the right. Lights are brighter than they appear as the camera is smarter than me. But compare..

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:47:06 AM by Carl »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »
Brandi likes the way the slightly smaller/lighter light carries on her nightly perimeter sweeps...she is afraid of the dark.

Adding The AA powered light has SIX current controlled LEDs and the D lantern uses 8 LEDs for white light with ONE yellow LED for a night light that is 'regulated by a resistor and not the active driver of the AA powered lantern. Here is a side by side .

The AA powered is on the LEFT and D powered on the right. Lights are brighter than they appear as the camera is smarter than me. But compare..

I used a LUX METER and measured the 8 AA light at 1700 LUX and the 4 D cell lantern at 1100 LUX and the 4 "D" will last at least twice as long as the 8 AA lantern ALSO I just picked up a recommended lantern ,suggested by JACK  the Streamlight 44931 The Siege Lantern(Link below) and I
am impressed with the ruggedness and water resistance (it floats) of this 3 "D" cell lantern that measured a very respectable 1600 LUX when run
with 3 rechargeable "D" cells ,the low self discharge 8 amp hour cells...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DII7CTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   Lantern

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ASF24WI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1  Tenergy LSD "D" batteries