Author Topic: Episode 908 - ATV/UTV  (Read 5533 times)

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
Episode 908 - ATV/UTV
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
Another type to consider is the Polaris Big Boss 6x6. 500cc, 4-stroke, switchable AWD. Carries 800lbs in the bed (manual dump), tows 1500lbs, goes wherever a regular 4x4 ATV can go. I liked mine so much I bought a 2nd one for the wife (exact same year also - 2003). They are available used for $3000 to $4000 (brand new they run $10,000). From my experience, the used ones fall into two types. Beat to death by commercial outfits or low hour ranch/farm machines that are in excellent shape. The latter rarely have much rough trail use.  Holds 1/5 cord of split wood with the box sides in place.

Unlike a side-by-side, this machine allows one to use "body english" when side-hilling or traversing seriously rough ground. Basically, they are designed to haul a heavy loads thru very rough terrain. My property is heavily forested and hilly so the fact that they are more nimble compared to a UTV is a plus. While we use ours mostly for work around the homestead, we still take them on recreational trails for fun occasionally.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
Re: Episode 908 - ATV/UTV
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
What a beast! 

Offline Charlie-02

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
Hey guys - the only thing that I did not hear mentioned (Maybe I was not paying attention), but lets focus on UTV (or side by sides) - Gas or Diesel?

I have been eyeing an Polaris Ranger 400 Diesel that has been sitting for over a year (dealer just won't budge), but am I being myopic by focusing on just Diesel?  Reason?  I have a tractor (Kubota) that is Diesel of course - so looking to consolidate the need for various fuel storage vs use -

Thanks

Charlie-02

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Charlie, the ATV/UTVs use so little gas that I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.  I've got a Kubota tractor as well, and though I have a Kawasaki Prairie 4X4, my butt winds up on the tractor more often when I'm out working the property anyway. 

Of course, that Kubota diesel UTV is one tough rascal...

Offline Lurch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
I don't think there's any reason to keep it limited to UTV's

Like I said in the show comments, the only ATV with a PTO that I know anything about is the Yamaha Terra Pro. I believe they were only made from 1987-88 or somewhere around there, but they can still be found for relatively cheap.

Offline LongBeardedJohn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Hey guys, glad everyone liked the show.  The Big Boss 6x6 skipped my mind while I was talking to Jack.  They're great machines and can go many places UTVs have trouble because of how narrow they are. 

Charlie, it's kind of a toss up in my opinion, gas or diesel.  There is merit to having only one type of fuel on your homestead, and diesel is easy to make on your own in various types, but even with daily use small vehicles like this don't use much fuel.  If you can get the dealer to lower his price, I'd prefer the diesel, but it would split my hairs to take a gas if he won't change his price.  A majority of the UTVs out there are gas, because that's what powersport types prefer.  Try looking for a gently used John Deere Gator.  UTVs designed for farm/ranch usage are much more common to see in diesel, simply because most farmers would refuse a "toy" like this when they were first entering the market, if the farmer had to store more gas for another vehicle.

Jacob Farley

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
Just listened the podcast, great show. I thought i would add my two cents on a utv I have been using daily for 3 years. I take care of a 300acre boy scout camp, this utv has basically replaced the camp truck on camp.

What I have is a Brush Hog 440 Trail Hunter UTV, powered by a 20hp Honda motor, 4x4, bed capacity of 500 lbs, towing cap of 1500 lbs, 2 inch recievers front and rear, roof and windshield.

I have 893 hrs on it and have replaced one full set of tires and two front shocks besides normal maint.

It will run about two weeks on a tank of gas (7 gal.)

Max speed of 25 mph

I'll try to post pic later.

Ranger Dave

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »
Another type to consider is the Polaris Big Boss 6x6. 500cc, 4-stroke, switchable AWD. Carries 800lbs in the bed (manual dump), tows 1500lbs, goes wherever a regular 4x4 ATV can go. I liked mine so much I bought a 2nd one for the wife (exact same year also - 2003). They are available used for $3000 to $4000 (brand new they run $10,000). From my experience, the used ones fall into two types. Beat to death by commercial outfits or low hour ranch/farm machines that are in excellent shape. The latter rarely have much rough trail use.  Holds 1/5 cord of split wood with the box sides in place.

Unlike a side-by-side, this machine allows one to use "body english" when side-hilling or traversing seriously rough ground. Basically, they are designed to haul a heavy loads thru very rough terrain. My property is heavily forested and hilly so the fact that they are more nimble compared to a UTV is a plus. While we use ours mostly for work around the homestead, we still take them on recreational trails for fun occasionally.

What is that blue thing holding the log? I want one!

I use a Polaris that look almost identical to this, but it's a 2000.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
It's a log arch. This is the smallest one I've found. Fits my needs perfectly. It'll handle a 9ft log 16" in diameter...the max my small bandmill can handle. Small enough to get thru tight heavily wooded trails. Can even hold your saw and a can of gas.

I replaced the hand winch with a small Warn electric winch.

Link: http://www.americanbandsawcompany.com/

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »
Thanks! I'll look into it.