Author Topic: Does a Kindle have merit in the EDK / EmerPrep?  (Read 28028 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Does a Kindle have merit in the EDK / EmerPrep?
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
DW got a Kindle for Christmas, and I have been eyeing it a bit myself...  Yet I wonder about it's usefulness.

I have the Kindle app for my iPhone,. and just downloaded the app for Win, but there doesn't seem to be much you can do with either, from my point of view,..

1.  You can't print a page or copy it if you want to.  You'll have to do a screen shot.
        > I could take a book I bought, have it cut then make my own PDF doc.
2. Powers out,.. batteries dead,.. now what. 
        > If you don't have a way to charge it without AC power,.. then what?
3. ? Security? OpSec.
        > Would you trust it with any type of OpSec?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Does a Kindle have merit in the EDK / EmerPrep?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
Everyone I know that has a Kindle is reading more books, faster, than previously. Regardless of any other consideration, a device that encourages non-readers to read is a win. I don't even care what people read, as long as they read something.

The Kindle is not effective as a way to store info for reprint or transfer. It is very convenient for downloading information when on the move and can hold a large amount of literature in a small form factor.

The battery lasts at least over a week with daily use and can charge from USB, etc.

For OPSEC, there are not real ways to encrpyt the information, but you can turn the wireless off - so it is not connected all the time.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »
Love my Kindle, but if I really like a book, or it's a "prep" book (Where There Are No Doctors, Dentists, How To Do Anything, etc, I buy the hard copy and add to library.  Also keep all my Mother Earth News, Home Power, etc for future reference. 

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
I have the app on my phone along with Nook app, Adobe and a generic e-book reader. It's definitely a good tool. Look into solar chargers for it. I'm planning to use a thumb drive with my phone and laptop to have a complete library available to me where ever I go. I don't know about security with Kindles but, if you use a password protected thumb drive for document storage, that should help. I like the battery life on Kindles, but for now I'm going to settle for the phone app.

Pat

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
I prefer to have my survival, bushcraft, plant identification and other utilitarian books as hard copies, but they are there if the power goes out. it doesn't mean that a kindle doesn't have a place in your preps. If you secure yourself a way to charge it when the grid is down, it makes a whole lot of great information easy to transport. You might be able to pick up a relatively cheap solar charger to provide you with power for the kindle even if that charger is relegated to that duty only.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
I think so.

We have Nooks, not Kindles, but I am sure that the functionality is similar.

A few things that I do as far as my prepping goes are.

I keep PDF's of owners manuals for equipment that I own on it. Most are available online
as a download. If not, I scan them and save them as a PDF.

I scan magazine articles and put them on the Nook, especially if there are only one or two articles I want to save from a magazine. This works well for recipes, and Sis saves knitting patterns on hers. This cuts down on the stack of magazines lying around, the articles can be backed up and indexed, and also viewed on my laptop. I can then pass the magazine on to other people.

I do not keep any secure information on my Nook, so I dont worry about OPSEC with it. If I loose it or break it I only loose the device, my information is backed up on my laptop and my external hard drive.

I have a Solio charger and a cheap small solar charger that I can use to charge it with if I am away from electricity for an extended time.

TW

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
I think the only thing that I would worry about with a Kindle is longevity. If things went all TEOTWAWKI I'd hire a couple of monks to copy the information to paper for posterity.  ;D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »
I can see having a kindle for a number of reasons - but having the paper option as well. 

One reason I came up with the question is when looking at say a cook book.  Do you get the Kindle version or go with the paper version.  Both versions you can hand write the recipe on paper,..  But the Paper version I can have cut down and then scan to PDF which I have done to other books and could create own e-book using mobiPocket.

Being into tech and having a 'standard' I use for electronics and my Amateur Radio - Power really isn't a issue, for me at least.  I have Solar, could build a wind generator if I really set my mind to it (I've recently gutted a few Hard Drives to toy with).

I try to think multi platform, not just one format too.  Laptop, Desktop, PDF, Text, DOC, etc.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
You may want to be careful of the Kindle (and maybe other e-book readers that depend on a service-based system, like Amazon's).

http://www.slate.com/id/2223214/ has an article on the recent 1984 Memory Hole issue, and why this is a rights issue, rather than just a poor choice on Amazon's part, or a simple accident.  It really worries me when a company takes this much liberty with my property - and (like the article points out), if I buy a paper-based book, it is mine; the store cannot come back later, while I am sleeping, and take it back.  If they reserve the right/ability to remove books that you buy from them, what is to say that they cannot remove "objectionable" books (PDFs) that you create yourself?

Along those lines (not to start any flame wars or anything), Microsoft's EULA (End User License Agreement) follows the same principle.  Whenever you install any Microsoft product, you agree that Microsoft, basically, owns your computer.  You give them the right to look at your hard drive and decide what software they think should be there.  You explicitly give them the right to add and remove software (any software, not just Microsoft's software) at their whim.  (True story, take some time to actually read the EULA for a good scare. [http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx] - see §2.1, §2.3, §6 and others)  Again, I want my own computer to be mine, not Microsoft's, or Amazon's, or any other big organization's - how far is that from the government deciding that they have the right to ban a prepping book because it might incite fear among the population?

All that said, I do rely on e-documents in my preps.  I have many megabytes of books, papers, threads, etc - such as the NATO Emergency War Surgery Handbook, Where there is no Doctor, several FM21 series manuals, and much more.  I just have a (non-service based) reader on a pocket computer.  My notebook computer is connected to the internet, but I try not to allow any service to dictate what I am allowed to have (or not to have) on my computer.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
I have no survival books in ebook format.  But if you accumulate books like I do it fullfills a great function, it helps me divest myself of the heavy and bulky paper copies of books that have no SHTF utility.

I love Terry Brooks' Shanara Series, but you know what, if the lights go out I wont have time to read it for years at best.  I might as well get the paperbacks out of my house and if the muse takes me to read a sci-fi paperback with no readeaming value in the interem I will read it on the kindle.

In summary, it helps you lighten the book load.

-Chem

endurance

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
There are some books I will always want in paper format just in case a worst case scenario.  However, my i-Pod touch has always been a part of my EDC/prepping, if for nothing else, to keep me entertained and informed in the event of something keeping me away from home for an extended period of time.  If a wildland fire rolls through my neighborhood, I want a way to check e-mails, update facebook, keep my calendar, have my phone directory, watch videos, read books, stream movies (netflix), view google maps, read news stories, listen to music... and any hotel room with WiFi can do all that for me without having to lug around a laptop.  A Kindle, i-Pad, or other device offers some of these same features or in some cases, more.  While I still keep a new book in my car at all times, just in case, I also keep a AA battery and lighter charger in the glove box.  Even without wifi, there's plenty of features that make it worth keeping at my side 24/7.  An i-Phone or Droid would do all that and more, so there's lots of valuable technology that's worth considering as part of your EDC.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
I have no survival books in ebook format.  But if you accumulate books like I do it fullfills a great function, it helps me divest myself of the heavy and bulky paper copies of books that have no SHTF utility.

I love Terry Brooks' Shanara Series, but you know what, if the lights go out I wont have time to read it for years at best.  I might as well get the paperbacks out of my house and if the muse takes me to read a sci-fi paperback with no readeaming value in the interem I will read it on the kindle.

In summary, it helps you lighten the book load.

-Chem

I'm with Chem on this, I have 2 walls of 7' bookshelves that are over flowing with books and more books stacked around. My kindle is something that I can put my pleasure reading on and not worry about yet another book. Plus it carries easily so I can take it with me when I go and always have something to read. Nothing worse than a waiting room with out of date magazines I'm not interested in anyway.

Offline Rand McNally

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
I have a Sony E Reader and am quite fond of it.

I carry a number of survival/prepper books on it, but the true be told I don't like reading or using reference books on it.  It takes longer to find stuff as you can't just flip through.  It will work in a pinch but I prefer paper for reference work. I do have all my member's brigade ebboks loaded on it.

It works great for general reading.  It is light and good battery life.  I tend to always carry mine and figure it is part of my preps as a great many normal emergencies involve being stranded for periods of time.  If I got stranded in a airport due to storms, my ereader is going to be one of my best pieces of kit.

I am military and have spend a good deal of time sitting on my ruck waiting for transport over the last year or so, the ereader has made my life better when times got bad and even when it did not. 

Note my Sony is not linked directly to the store, like the kindle, so I can't buy books without my computer and the internet, on the other hand they can't remove or change a book I have bought.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »
I have converted a number of PDFs and other docs of interest to kindle format and copied them over.  Google "MobiPocket Creator" for a pretty decent Windows app to do this.
Some files may be encrypted, though I haven't investigated the mechanism (shared key, etc.)

A few weeks back, I sucked down dozens of those survival genre PDFs (army field manuals, construction plans, first aid, etc.) and batch converted them to kindle for save keeping.  Collectively they take little space.  In this way, not only may I view them on a kindle, but it's also a storage device which I can later copy back to another PC.

The battery life is superb compared to using a smart phone, and it charges via USB, so a 12 volt power source and a USB car adapter is the only requirement for long term grid down use.

Don't forget, you can disable the radio if you think big brother is scanning your contents.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »
I have an iPhone - I can set it to AirPlane mode which turns off the Cell and Data radios..  I don't know how long a charge would last in this mode.  I've been thinking that when I hit the trail this year that I'll test it. 

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:08 PM »
Don't forget, you can disable the radio if you think big brother is scanning your contents.

Um, not quite, the way that you find out that they are looking at your system is by them either than taking them away your files or by them breaking down your door because "he is a subversive."  These type devices won't leave any evidence of the service company taking any action inside your reader.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
I keep a lot of prepper reference ebooks, as well as novels on my Nook (and backup on my 'puter).

I'm not the kind of person who engages in trivial debate over products, but I'd like to tell you why I chose the Nook over the Kindle.
ePub appears to be the defacto standard.  Last time I checked, Kindle did not support ePub. (I'm sure a firmware upgrade could change this.)
I can "borrow" ebooks from most libraries.  The 8 or so libraries I have visited online post 90% of their books in ePub format.  Very few seem to provide books in the MobiPocket format.
The Nook supports the ePub and PDF standard.
The memory is expandable on the Nook.
The battery is replaceable on the Nook.

btw, Calibre is a super third-party software that can convert formats and sync your library to your device.  I highly recommend it.  It's free.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »

btw, Calibre is a super third-party software that can convert formats and sync your library to your device.  I highly recommend it.  It's free.

+1 on Calibre, it is an awesome program, I use it a lot.

TW

mtman

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
I have a Kindle with many files I downloaded from the internet for free. If you send a pdf file to your kindle address and type, "convert" in the subject box it will convert it to a better format for reading. I have gardening, guns et. I usually read on my Kindle everyday.

Offline geoffreys7

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »
I love my Kindle because I travel a lot and I have converted all the survival fiction I downloaded from this site and others to PDF format and loaded it in my Kindle!  I could never carry all those pages with me but they're all in my briefcase on my Kindle, if I get stuck somewhere I've got plenty to read.  ;D

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
Might be a good time to think about this again.
There are many survival and skill related books available now in addition to pdf options. I have all my manuals in pdf form as well.
All this is on my iPad, but it is more delicate and it is in use quite a bit.

Last generation wifi Kindles are available on Craigslist and eBay for $50 or less.
I found a 4GB (current models are 2GB) with wifi for $50.

I was thinking about loading it up and sticking it in a small EMP bag inside a larger one. Double protection.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081V7REC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Y61YE01DCJRDHSWBWYJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I can charge it with the small solar charger we have if the shtf.

I can pull out out at regular intervals and recharge and add and delete content.

Pretty small investment as a backup entertainment and information source.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
I've been using my basic Kindle for over a year now and it's become my survival book repository.  I've loaded over a hundred books onto it.  Everthing from Army FMs to my favorite sci-fi series (the ones I could re-read anytime).  The biggest pro is the battery life.  If I turn off the wifi, the batter lasts about a month of reading for an hour or two a day.  The biggest con is the poor screen resolution and lack of color.  Compared to a Nook or Kindle Fire, it's horrible for pictures.  It also doesn't handle PDFs very well - I'll have to try converting some with Calibre.

All total - I think the basic Kindle or Paperwhite are a great addition however a Kindle Fire, iPad, or Color Nook may be better options if you have the money (and the ability to recharge more often).

Off topic - If you like Sci-Fi, Baen books has a free e-book library.  They add new titles a couple times each year.  Also, look at some of their new hardbacks (I'm a David Weber fan) - I've gotten a couple of CDs full of e-books in the back of some of my Honor Harrington series books.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
Even though I don't like e-books, I've been kicking around the idea of getting an e-reader, just for "entertainment" reading, as I can easily go through a book/novel a night.  For actual how-to and survival type, I still prefer hard copy, although I would probably put them on the reader, too.  The input from you all just made the decision to get one a whole lot easier...now I just need to decide "which" one.  ;D 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Upside to any device, isn't the device, but the ecosystem behind it.

In other words, if force to bet $100 that one of these would be in business in 10 years, which would you choose?

1) Barnes and Noble
2) Your local/county library system
3) amazon.com

My family owns 3 kindle devices.  3 have broke and been replaced under warranty.  Amazon has never left me hanging, and shipped replacements within 48 hours.  The nook readers and other competitors have some sexier features than kindle, but consider these devices semi-disposable as mobile phones are.  You'll upgrade every 3-4 years at least.

endurance

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
Upside to any device, isn't the device, but the ecosystem behind it.

In other words, if force to bet $100 that one of these would be in business in 10 years, which would you choose?

1) Barnes and Noble
2) Your local/county library system
3) amazon.com

My family owns 3 kindle devices.  3 have broke and been replaced under warranty.  Amazon has never left me hanging, and shipped replacements within 48 hours.  The nook readers and other competitors have some sexier features than kindle, but consider these devices semi-disposable as mobile phones are.  You'll upgrade every 3-4 years at least.
NPR just did a piece on the Nook this morning and said how much trouble B&N was in trouble.  Amazon has cornered the market already, B&N is picking up the scraps. 

I have a Kindle Fire and primarily use it for browsing and watching videos from Amazon Prime.  If I were to buy a device now, I'd probably go with a $200 android tablet and get the Kindle software for it.  Having the option of using an external memory card is a bonus.  However, overall I'm very happy with my Fire and will use it until I do something stupid to it to destroy it.  The upside for the traditional kindles is the long battery life, but given how much I use my Fire for browsing, I'll take the trade off and continue to carry a large external Lithium ion battery pack for traveling.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
I have a generic e-book reader that uses an android operating system, with a kindle emmulator app. I also have the kindle app on my phone. I rarely carry the e-reader with me, and i keep it, along with a solar charger, in a faraday cage. I take it out a couple times a month, turn it on, and update it. It contains all of the books i have downloaded with my phone from the kindle store. I download a lot of free books related to prepping/ homesteading/ and survival, and have hundreds, plus i have electronic copies of hard copy books i already own. And have searched out copies of good books that predate the e-book, as well as hundreds of pdf's and word documents. When one sd card gets full, i remove it and get another one. The cards stay with the reader in the faraday cage. I also have every episode of tsp.

While i will never say it should replace printed books, there is definantly something to be said about the ability to carry the equivelant of a large public library in you pocket.

Offline wildwm

• Prepper
  • Members Support Brigade
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »
I've had a Kindle for a bit over a year and have found I read a lot more because it is loaded with free and purchased books and can go with me everywhere.  I did find that I would rather not try to read books that have a lot of photos, graphs, etc. on it but it is good for general info books and books to make me think and understand.  Like another poster if I read something on my Kindle and really feel I want it in my library permanently and readily accessible, I will purchase a used book.  If I know a book will be a long-term reference book, I don't get it on Kindle unless I think I would want to be able to evacuate with a copy or that's the only way to purchase.  With a little thought you can keep it charged using solar panels so it would still be useful in a down grid/evacuate situation.  My only complaint is replacing the battery is a major problem.  You can't do it by just buying a new battery.  I purchased a refurbished Toshiba Thrive that I have the Kindle app on and keep my prepping materials downloaded on it.  You can purchase a battery and replace yourself.  I keep an extra available for it and my laptop.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
The only issue I've found with the Kindle app vs a Kindle device is that you can get more books and features with the device.
Especially if you are using Amazon Prime.
I have an iPad with the app and we have Amazon Prime. Lots of books are free with Amazon Prime, but only with a Kindle device. The app doesn't allow free access.

Also the links to Amazon don't work on the iPad from the Kindle app. Some agreement with Apple disabled the ablility to purchase and access the Amazon site from the Kindle app.
It has something to do with Apple wanting people to use their iBooks app instead of Kindle/Amazon.

Again, I am buying a last generation Kindle (with 4gb of memory vs the newer devices with 2gb) for $45 as a storable prep that will be loaded with prepper books and manuals, dropped in an EMP bag and recharged occassionally. I imagine the charge will last quite awhile with it turned off.
If the SHTF, I can use our small portable solar charger or generator to charge it.
That also makes me think hmmm should I store the small solar charger in an EMP bag too? Probably.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
NPR just did a piece on the Nook this morning and said how much trouble B&N was in trouble.  Amazon has cornered the market already, B&N is picking up the scraps. 

I have a Kindle Fire and primarily use it for browsing and watching videos from Amazon Prime.  If I were to buy a device now, I'd probably go with a $200 android tablet and get the Kindle software for it.  Having the option of using an external memory card is a bonus.  However, overall I'm very happy with my Fire and will use it until I do something stupid to it to destroy it.  The upside for the traditional kindles is the long battery life, but given how much I use my Fire for browsing, I'll take the trade off and continue to carry a large external Lithium ion battery pack for traveling.
I'm with you Endurance..  I've got my KF (Kindle Fire) here with me, and it has about 20 or so Pathfinder videos on it.  I found a SciFi video I loaded just for giggles.. then deleted it.  Nice to have a few more entertaining games and apps then just a eReader.  I've considered adding another KF but then I get into the apps issue and the Memory issue.  I can get more SD cards for next to nothing, but no way to use them in the KF without a laptop or desktop to copy them over.

Now there is a device - A wireless hard drive like the Patriot Gauntlet 320 would be one option to consider, but would fall under the putting everything in once place category.  Though would be a good tool to use as a backup.

The only issue I've found with the Kindle app vs a Kindle device is that you can get more books and features with the device.
Especially if you are using Amazon Prime.
I have an iPad with the app and we have Amazon Prime. Lots of books are free with Amazon Prime, but only with a Kindle device. The app doesn't allow free access.

Also the links to Amazon don't work on the iPad from the Kindle app. Some agreement with Apple disabled the ablility to purchase and access the Amazon site from the Kindle app.
It has something to do with Apple wanting people to use their iBooks app instead of Kindle/Amazon.

Again, I am buying a last generation Kindle (with 4gb of memory vs the newer devices with 2gb) for $45 as a storable prep that will be loaded with prepper books and manuals, dropped in an EMP bag and recharged occassionally. I imagine the charge will last quite awhile with it turned off.
If the SHTF, I can use our small portable solar charger or generator to charge it.
That also makes me think hmmm should I store the small solar charger in an EMP bag too? Probably.

Getting 'older' tech is nothing new.  I kept and actually have in storage a NEC MobilePro 880 - It's a old piece of tech, but allows a good number of things like Pocket Office, WI-FI and simple apps.  Nothing like the Android or iOS since it's WinCE3...

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:59 AM »
One up side to some readers and devices running an app, is the removable storage. My sister has a kindle fire, not sure what version, but i don't think it has removable storage. With by el-cheapo cruz reader i'm not limited to a certain amount of data storage. I bought it with 4 mb, but since the internal storage is a sd card and also accepts an external SD card, I simply opened up replace the internal 1 with a 16gb, put a 16gb in the external port for a combined 32gb, then when the 1 in the external port gets full I take it out put it in the faraday cage and put a new 1 in.