Author Topic: Copy Canning  (Read 7064 times)

Offline benc

• Prepper
    • Practical Firearms Institute
Copy Canning
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
I think I need some help in freeing my mind.

Copy canning is brilliant.  The problem is that in the cupboard right now there are at most six different types of canned food.  A few bean types, bamboo shoots, coconut milk, olives, tomatoes.  We have some pasta, some Kung-Fu brand ramen noodles (HIGHLY recommended), some Annie's mac and cheese, and a big bottle of BIG Dan's Sweet-Hot Bento Sauce.  That is about all of the stuff that we normally eat that I can think of that is normally storable.  We don't eat much in the way of preserved food.

We are in the process of determining the brand of rice we want to standardize on and that will help.  we're also looking at what dried beans we want to have on hand since she cooks a lot of bean dishes.

Understand we are focusing on getting 30 days squared away so that we can take that learning and apply it to 60 and then 90 days.

So what else am I missing?

The Beans remind me that we usually use a pressure cooker for the bean dishes.  What to folks use for emergency cooking and heating fuel?  (I'm sure it is discussed here so a link would be fine.  I don't want to jack my own thread!)

Thanks,
Ben

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
Re: Copy Canning
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
We don't eat hardly any pre packaged foods either so what we store are ingredients and spices and there are many methods of cooking when the power is out. A solar oven is great and easy to make or available for purchase. A fireplace or firepit with a grate over it. A charcoal grill will use wood just fine, outdoor wood fired ovens work fantastic. Sterno is always good to have on hand. Read a lot of the threads here. These things get discussed in bits and pieces in many threads.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »
We are kind of in the same boat with cans.  We prefer frozen veggies, so don't have a lot of canned veggies.  You may want to look at switching over to cans of some of the stuff that you eat that is preserved another way.

But you are pretty much dead on for your understanding of copy canning.  But it isn't just for cans, boxed noodles, rices, etc is fair game.

For backup cooking, we use a camp stove and I have a bunch of propane on hand at any given time.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
Good news on beans is they are cheap and easy to store. Why standardize - right now I have barley, lentils, pinto beans, navy beans, black beans and adzuki beans in dry storage. Same with rice - I keep jasmine, white, brown and usually some type of red or wild rice on hand.

For 30-90 day storage, I keep them in wide mouth quart mason jars. This keeps them dry and safe from any critters (not that I have them, just in case). For my wife and I, this is a reasonable amount to keep on hand.

Other dry goods that I keep the same way - steel cut and rolled oats, bob's red mill 12 grain cereal, tea, salt, sugar, flour, etc.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »
Ben,

Have you thought about making your own bread?  You need flour and yeast for that, and butter (which you can freeze, or can).  Don't waste your money on a bread maker though, they're for people who are lazy and who do not believe the lights will ever go out.  Instead, waste your money on a camp oven that runs off of propane.

You didn't mention anything in the way of jellies or jams, or fruit butters.  You may want to reconsider that.  It's a good, high-vitamin storage food, and it goes great on pancakes. 

Same goes for pancake mixes, and waffle mixes.  If you don't open the bag, and if you keep them in a cool place, they'll last quite a while. 

Store soups. 

Store canned veggies. 

Store canned fruits, if you refuse to can your own. 

Make your own spaghetti sauce (you'll get FAR more for your money and learn a valuable skill at the same time). 

Store cornmeal, and cooking oil, and eggs (you can dehydrate them and they last quite a long time).

Store salt (a lot of it).  It helps to preserve meat, and it's EXTREMELY inexpensive.  Make sure you get iodized.  You don't want to get some kind of deficiency if TSHTF.

Store alcohol - the drinking kind.

As for heating elements, we store propane.  It costs, what $3.00 a bottle or so at the grocery store, for a small bottle of propane?  So get one every time you go shopping.  You won't notice the difference in price at the register, and you'll have that much more storage happening every week (or however often you go shopping).  Get a camp stove for cheap at a thrift shop or garage sale if you don't already have one, and use that for cooking if TSHTF.  They work perfectly fine for pressure cookers.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:54 PM »
OH - I forgot the most important thing - STORE WATER.  Even if it's in flats of water bottles, stacked on top of each other.  You'll die without it, and you won't have anything to clean your dishes in, or to clean yourself in.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
Since you mentioned fruit butter and pancake mix in the same thread, the WV contingent feels the need to emphasize the inherent value and tastiness of buckwheat flour pancakes with apple butter.

http://www.buckwheatfest.com

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
Nope, buckwheat pancakes with stewed blueberries. Triple yum and that's saying something cause I love, love, love apple butter and pear butter.

Offline Zuladad

• Prepper
  • Do not be deceived
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Dearest SisWof - I truly appreciate you and your good insight.  I copy and save a lot of what you say.  (I'm thinking I should jot in attribution when I do that.) But really, thank you.  You bring a lot to this community.  There are other great contributors, of course, but I find myself being attentive to what your take is on things.  Now, go look in the mirror and tell yourself how humble you are!

Yes, I copied your list on this topic.

Peace

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
Wow, thank you.  Don't get too caught up, Zuladad.  I'm just a student, like everybody else.  :)

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
That is about all of the stuff that we normally eat that I can think of that is normally storable.

So what is it that you folk eat that isn't storable? Almost everything is. I think perhaps what you are lacking is the knowledge of how to preserve that which you do normally eat.

The saying goes: "Store what you eat, eat what you store", not: "Eat what you buy at the store every week". To just store only the small percentage of what you consider to be the only food that is storable would not be worth the effort. What would you do with nothing to eat but those six items?

The above saying, S.W.Y.E.E.W.Y.S. (swyeewys) states that it is possible to store (preserve) what you eat. This forum actually has everything you need to learn how to do that.

By the way, Sister Wolf, nice photo!