Author Topic: Solar  (Read 6482 times)

Rock2Fox

Solar
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
A modest solar system - done with the help of others, some of which frequent this forum.

Before pic, equipment sitting around not hooked up to anything.  On the left is the solar combiner box acting as the disconnect for my solar panels, in the middle/ left is a Xantrex C40 charge controller, next up is a Midnite Solar MiniDC DC breaker acting as my battery bank disconnect.  Next is a Xantrex Prosine 1800w (pure sine wave) inverter I scored off of Ebay on the cheap (its refurbished).  The batteries are MK/ DEKA AGM batteries w/ a 183 aHr @ 10 hr. capacity.  The cable on the far left is a 2 conductor (#10 AWG) 25' output cable.

Box o' cables: intermodule cables (2 conductor #10 AWG) at 2.5', the short thick black ones in the bottom are 12" #2/0 AWG battery cables, and the thin fused cables are the inverter cables (#10 AWG).

The first real work I did was to mount the DC breaker (battery disconnect) to a piece of 2x4 and bolt it to the frame of a modular workbench.

Next up was wiring the breaker to the batteries.  Yes, I realize a socket is stuck on the negative grounding lug . . . laugh away.

Next the wires from the breaker to the inverter on the desktop.

I drove this 3/4" solid copper grounding rod about six feet in the ground, then ran a #6 solid copper to the DC breaker to serve as the system ground.

Here are the panels installed.  Three 110w Mitsubishi 12v panels wired in parallel, attached to the roof using a UniRac flush mount.

Here is the completely wired system.

Here is a picture of the charge controller, the sun was going down and it was cloudy --- you can see the electrical output even under these circumstances.

Please give your thoughts and comments on this setup.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Solar
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
Where did you get your batteries?

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about electrical so in simple terms what items in a house would run on this in an emergency situation?  Freezer? Refrigerator? both 
My sister and I have both been looking into what it would take to get some form or emergency power and not depend on fuel.  If we were gone from home and the power went out could this transfer over without problems to power the freezer? 

Forgive my ignorance...Thanks for the information.

Rock2Fox

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
The batteries cost about $400 each and will run a deep freezer for three days w/ no sunlight (when wired in parallel).  As far as what you can run in a house - pretty much everything except and large central AC system, washer and dryer - everything else I have had no problems with (lights, TVs, computers, dvd players, refrigerators, etc.)  I have this system charging all the cordless batteries in the house, occasionally running a grow light and always running a chest-style deep freezer.

Rock2Fox

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »
I purchased the batteries from an online dealer "AltE" it used to be Mr. Solar - I set myself up as a distributor of the MK Deka brand so henceforth I can get them at a reduced price (or anyone else who wants them) - it will save about $50-60 per battery to cut out the middle man, I am thinking about switching over to th same batteries in 6 volt so I can expand the bank somewhat.

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
RockX,
"A modest system" he says... ::)
Good to see you made it over to this side of the street.  ;D
Welcome to the forum hombre!

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I think its very impressive. How much did all that cost you?

Roknrandy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Nice setup, keep us informed of any updates

Rock2Fox

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
All told around $3500.  I am ball parking and can't remember the exact figures, but that is what I am claiming come April when the tax man puts his hands out.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
+1 Again.

Great setup.
 I am starting to feel behind.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
I realllly love your batteries.. that is the weak part of my system atm

Offline vegwerx1

• Prepper
  • New Solar Power For My Freezer
    • Survival Solar Systems
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 03:05:12 AM »
System sounds great! Please fix your pics on here. Love to see what you have done.! I did the same thing with being a battery dealer. Although I have a small solar biz ( I make mobile solar units for Gubment) and I needed to be a dealer. My bro's all reap the bennies of cheaper batteries.. Love having a couple of my units stashed in the garage just in case. Now I need to get more done on the house. 8) Kinda like the mechanics car is always fixed last?

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
I am starting to feel behind.

I'm continuing to feel even MORE behind.

*facepalm*

+1 on the kick ass system and dealer strategery and cunningness.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »
This looks very interesting! Perhaps a good topic for SaveOurSkills?

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the pics!! You helped me finally visualize what a system should look like wired up. Can't thank you enough.  :D

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
Nice setup.  Living in a condo prevents me from doing that.  >:(

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »
Color me jealous!