Author Topic: Tell Us About A Mistake You've Made  (Read 56671 times)

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Tell Us About A Mistake You've Made
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
Mistakes??.....Packed my BOB to the point I couldn't carry it more than about 100yards....Bought too many gadgets for stuff I didn't need....failed to rotate our food stuff, so some of it went bad....unplugged the freezer one day and didn't notice until it was running out the bottom (very unhappy wife)....went for a long scout one day without proper water supplies or preps....the list goes on and on....but as the man says "learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them".

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:59 AM »
My mistake was this fall putting seeds I saved from my garden in plastic ziplock bags, even with the bags cracked open, they collected condensation and molded. I had also layed them out a couple weeks to dry. Next time i will use paper.

Whoa- I'm glad I read that!  Going to rescue my seeds right now!

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »
My mistake was this fall putting seeds I saved from my garden in plastic ziplock bags, even with the bags cracked open, they collected condensation and molded. I had also layed them out a couple weeks to dry. Next time i will use paper.
Same thing happened to me. Maybe I'll try packing next time in wax bags with desiccants in with the seeds.  I panic about packing in paper, as I always think something is going to get in there an damp them up. I made the same mistake with some leaves I was drying out. I normally have no problem, I set the leaves on a paper towel, wait a week and store. Apparently a damp one got into my 1/2# batch and when I went to pack up my herbal stores yesterday I caught a whiff of mold. Sure enough, the whole bag was soggy and covered in yellow spores. $150 in product down the drain. Thank goodness I cycle my packaging so my January harvest wasn't a complete waste. I may switch to dehydrating my leaves now that I got my dehydrator unpacked.

A few of my many mistakes:
  • Not organizing my PAW data. I have notes, files and PDFs spread over five computers and several external hard drives. All that information won't be worth a damn if I cannot find it when I need it. It's a disorganized mess that needs some serious housekeeping.
  • Same thing goes for my homestead library. While it is even more of a wreck with the move, not being able to find my printed Humanure Handbook when I went looking for it was frustrating. It's not just about putting it all in one place but also labeling it properly. Oh and don't lend your preparedness books out, I can never seem to get them back.
  • I am a packrat. I didn't think I was until this weekend's move. If there was an emergency and I needed to bug out I have the basics covered but the new mess in my barn is a collection of decades of crap I 'was getting right around to fixing'. It's time to slough all that excess off. I mean I save dryer lint and cardboard for goodness sake. Yes it has a purpose, but only if it is actually fashioned into that product, otherwise you're just a weirdo that saves dryer lint.   ;)
  • Trusting people to steward your garden when you go on vacation. Never ever again.
  • Buying more food than storage. It is different now that my homebase is not a small urban apartment but I had bags of stores and no bins. The mice got into it all, I lost hundreds of dollars in good supplies because they were not properly packaged. I threw it all out and got a new cat.
  • Jack mentioned this once, and I am one of the people he was talking about. Doing nothing because it's not perfect. I get bogged down in the minutiae and forget the big picture sometimes. I look at my BOB and it's bulky and cumbersome, I loathe PET plastic bottles due to antimony leaching so I wasn't storing enough water, when my roommate killed off my container garden I didn't replant... all those things. This gal just needs to get over herself and hop to it.  :D

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
    • Jack mentioned this once, and I am one of the people he was talking about. Doing nothing because it's not perfect. I get bogged down in the minutiae and forget the big picture sometimes.[...] all those things. This gal just needs to get over herself and hop to it.  :D

I have to own up to this one too. I have since corrected this but it has been a process. I have prepping to thank because losing sight of the big picture has always been an issue with me but now I can say I not only know where I'm going but I know how to get there!

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
    « Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »
    On a bug out run awhile back I didnt properly repackage food (M&Ms) before sticking it back in my ruck and when I woke in the morning I had hundreds of guests in the form of ants. There was no part of my bag that wasnt full of them. It took nearly an hour to unpack and shake everything out an repack it. If I had been in a hurry I would have been up the creek.

MightyRunt

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
    We have 2 Coleman Powermate gasoline generators as backups to the big Koehler propane gen which backs up our PV solar system. We had a snow adventure a few years ago, at which time the big gen was in the shop. I hadn't stocked up any significant amount of gas for the little gens. When the gas supply started getting low-ish I figured I could just siphon gas out of the unused truck with no problem. Ha! Between elbows and anti-siphon devices, you can't just stick a hose down the filler line, so it became necessary to crawl around under the truck, at -10 degrees in the snow trying to find out how to get into the gas tank. I figured it out, but I don't recommend the school of hard knocks.  Now I stock more gasoline.  ::)

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
    « Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »

Plastic off gasses and can sterilize seeds. I always keep seeds in glass jars so they will keep longer.

Michael Masse

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »
    I bought an SKS about 15 yrs ago put a nice scope on it and sold it a few years later for about $100.  Wish I still had it.

Loaned my son a SOG multi-tool when he went on a camping trip.  He accidentally through it out.  He put it in the pocket of one of those camp chairs.  Someone broke the chair so they chucked it into the garbage without checking the pockets.  He did replace it with a leatherman so it turned out pretty good.

One of my biggest regrets is the purchasing of entry level equipment. I need to step it up like mentioned above and only cry once.  I have bought dozens and dozen of thing in my time that was not what I really wanted but didn't want to pay for what I really wanted but I am learning.

Sherman

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »
    This probably doesn't belong here... but a lot of the mistakes mentioned were in saving/storing seeds.  I'm a nurse and early on found that the large "Plain Red Top" blood tubes were great for saving seeds. Go to any local Lab and ask then to save and give you the expired ones.  Not only are they glass and see-through, they have the rubber stopper on top. You can even get a syringe and siphon off quite a bit of the oxygen inside the tubes. I only did that one year and found that it wasn't necessary as the rubber plug kept the moisture out quite well.  I'd love to insert a picture... but am not able to figure out how to do so. Took a pic of a vial with OKRA seeds and am all ready to insert it... but when I hit the "insert image" icon I was stumped. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Sherman

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
    Ah, OK.... have to have an off-site photo what-zit.... dang!. Ya'll will just have to use your imaginations on the red top tubes. 
    But they work fantastically for all but the bigger seeds and for those (beans/corn, etc) I use half pint and pint canning jars, heat the whole thing up just a bit...not enough to kill the seeds, of course, but enough to get a 'false' seal on the lids. A 120-150F oven for 10-15 minutes usually works fine.  Heck!  It gets hotter than that here in TX outside in the summer! Spread out the bigger seeds on a cookie sheet, set the jars, lids and rings next to the seeds.....'bake" for 10-15 min... pour the seeds into the very warm-to-hot jars.... put the lids on and let the seals go "ping"! Moisture and bug proof.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
    « Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
    Buying too many individual food items that cannot be combined to be used in an effective manner. Peanut butter and cans of chick peas are food, but you can't make a meal out of them by themselves.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
    • Dedicated Contributor
    • Plant a Revolution!
    « Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
    Buying too many individual food items that cannot be combined to be used in an effective manner. Peanut butter and cans of chick peas are food, but you can't make a meal out of them by themselves.
    Actually you can! Peanut butter is often used as a replacement for Tahini (sesame seed paste) in hummus recipes for people with sesame allergies. Peanuts and garbanzos are very common in several ethnic cuisines. Garbanzos are also a ready replacement for wheat flour for Gluten-free recipes. Here let me post some recipes for you:See you were shopping creatively all along!  :D

On the other hand, I was weeding the future herb garden today and had to stop when I was starting to itch from all the burs that were scratching my skin, through three layers of clothing! When I popped online to find out what was the origin of these burs I come to find out it is common burdock (Arctium minus). Nice to know, except just threw these blasted burs everywhere in the interest of getting them off of me. So I just quitupled my weeding workload for the herb garden. Joy!  >:(

bioboy

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
    Created a menu plan for a single week, then trying each meal on everyone only once and they where good with that week. So I went out and bought several months worth of extra food and then guess what yup after 4 months complants about the lack of variety in eating what we where storing. I had about 6 months worth of food in place and no one willing to eat it. I know in a survival situation they wouldn't be complaining but I want our survival food to be as close to our regular diet as possible. If not the same.
    Currently we are only eating meat once a week so beans, rice, flour and pasta don't really bother us.

Gotta move and start gardening, preserving food and get back into hunting rabbit ;D that's the plan for the next 2 years .

Oh yeah moving back into a city biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. Never should have left the village of 500 people but -40F or worse winters where getting to me as well as being a 3 day drive from home.     

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
    • Moderator On Leave
    • Survival Veteran
    • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
      • 299 Days
    « Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:33 PM »
    We have so many new people on the forum (yeah!) that I wanted to try to restart this thread for them.  It's got some good stuff on it.  And we'd like to hear from the new people on this topic.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
    • Administrator On Leave
    • Forum Veteran
    • Wanna have an adventure?
      • WilderWolf
    « Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
    I rarely EVER make mistakes  ::) but here are a few, regarding my preps, and our survival community:

• Trying to store stuff I don't really like eating.  Green beans?  For reals?  What was I thinking?  Bleh.  :P
    • Not seeing the forest for the trees (mean, evil angry trees) during political discussions with my favorite people on earth (youse guys).  Compassion wins against hard-ass-ness every time.
    • Growing things in my garden that I don't really like to eat.  I mean, duh, right?  Well apparently not for me.  When I started growing yellow bush beans, I was like "wtf am i doing? why did I plant these here?"
    • Another gardening one - planting herbs in full sun.  Dumb idea.  Don't do it.  Find a shady spot for your lovely basil.  It will appreciate it and love you, rather than committing suicide in the front of the house where everybody can see it's lifeless little herb body.
    • Not starting sooner.
    • Ever caring what anybody else thought of me, or my prepping.  If you want to follow somebody else for your entire life, then fine.  I hope that works for you.  I can't do it.  If I'd started thinking that way when I was a teenager, rather than pretending that a Barbie car (pretty, but useless) was the most important thing on the planet, I'd be driving a completely amazing restored WWII Jeep right now.  *sigh*

I guess I'll stop now, before this turns into a frigging autobiography.  ;)

Modified to Add: The communication one is a major prepping faux pas.  Don't waste your energy dying on a hill that doesn't matter in the long run.  Waste your energy pulling your family and community together after a crisis.  You'll feel better about it in the long run.
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:17:15 PM by Sister Wolf »

sage0925

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
    Well, so far, all of my mistakes have been in gardening, but that's why I started this year, instead of waiting for STHTF. If you start seedlings inside, take the time to put them through the sun hardening process before you put them out...killed 3 cuke and 3 squashes so far...peas are barely hanging on.

I don't know about elsewhere, but some plants don't start well under a grow light...they end up with spindly little stems, and won't improve...my lettuce I started inside is pathetic...started over in a tub outside. Most things I'm just going to have to be patient, and plant after what is hopefully final frost.

And thanks for the heads up about the herbs...I have never been successful with basil (and I ADORE the stuff), and now I know why. Seed packet says full sun.

And my other mistake was not starting sooner. I stayed an armchair survivalist too long. We've always kept a year's supply of food stuffs in the house, cause it is very possible to get snowed in here in the winter. Always a possibility of avalanche on the main road to town. Now I'm taking a longer view...assuming the worst and trying to prepare for TEOTWAWKI, instead of just the coming winter.

Sage

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
    • Administrator On Leave
    • Forum Veteran
    • Wanna have an adventure?
      • WilderWolf
    « Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
    And thanks for the heads up about the herbs...I have never been successful with basil (and I ADORE the stuff), and now I know why. Seed packet says full sun.

So did my little plant marker thingy when I bought the plant!  But my good friend also bought Basil from the same place, and keeps it in the shade 100% of the time.  Her basil is amazing, and mine is dead.  Only difference is the amount of sun it was getting.

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
    « Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »
    NOT having become a gun owner sooner and having years of lost time to make up for.

Granted, part of that was not my fault, but rather living in a state that greatly discouraged handgun ownership. (Connecticut, not as bad as Massachusetts, but when you live in the city it can be a pain in the butt.)

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
    • it's spork-tastic!
    « Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
    I was walking with my kids. A guy opened up his front door and out runs his pit bull. Now I won't even get into the "why the hell does a guy who lives in an apartment keep a pit bull, and why does he have a dog that he can not control" side of the story here...

The dog ran right up to my 6 year old son who happened to be walking in front, barking and acting intimidating. It knocked him down and started nipping at his arms and legs. Not exactly biting him but way more than just playing. Obviously my son was freaked out.

My mistake was, in the 3 or 4 seconds that this all happened, There was this voice in my head going "oh, no, we can't hurt the nice little doggie, somebody might sue". Stupid as it was that's what I was thinking. I did yell at it to stop but, y'know, it's not exactly like this was a well-trained animal.

What I should have done was get in between the dog and my son, and kicked that freakin' mutt in the head. If I ended up getting bit, well, better me than my boy. If the owner wanted to press charges, well, I was protecting my family. And we were just lucky that we didn't end up another "child hospitalized by pit bull" news article. But that's all it was - luck.

When I snapped out of it I pulled the dog off and picked my son up. He had skinned knees and was shaken up but he was OK. The owner came out and took the dog and apologized, I told him to control his animal. Actually I said more than that but I'm sure I don't need to say what.

What have I learned from the experience? REACT. DON'T FREEZE UP. Things can go from normal to dangerous in just a few seconds. How you respond in those few seconds can make all the difference in the world.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Freedom lovin' Canadian
    « Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:43 AM »
    So did my little plant marker thingy when I bought the plant!  But my good friend also bought Basil from the same place, and keeps it in the shade 100% of the time.  Her basil is amazing, and mine is dead.  Only difference is the amount of sun it was getting.

Plant it on the shady side of your tomatoes. They do well together.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
    • Global Moderator
    • Survival Veteran
    « Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 06:27:02 AM »

My basil grew into a huge bush that took over my herb garden in Louisiana. I think it was happy because of the relatively protected location. We had it in the herb garden near our back door. I've got my basil going here (Ft. Worth) from seed in one of my raised beds and it seems to be pretty happy so far. Don't know what will happen once the weather gets really hot this summer.

As for mistakes... I think the biggest one we have made was coming so late to the party. We should have started this stuff years ago and not bought such a large house.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
    • Survivalist Mentor
    « Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »
    NOT having become a gun owner sooner and having years of lost time to make up for.

Same here - along with the general wish others have stated of wishing I'd started prepping sooner.  But guns and PMs are turning out to be at least two things that are now MUCH more expensive now.

Offline haloblue

• Survivor
    • IAM: not amused
    « Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
    Financial:

Upon exiting from undergrad and being newly married, my beloved Mrs. Halo and I ran up about 60k in debt. We managed to claw our way out of that and still being young and stupid, got back into another 30k and clawed our way out yet again. Hard lesson and it took us twice to let it really burn in.

Outdoorsy:

About six years ago, Mrs. Halo and I were spending a weekend at our Daytona condo. On July afternoon we decided to go geocaching in about 98 degree heat on a trail system that neither of us had ever been to. We parked the car, did not waypoint it, and started off down the trail in the blazing FL sun. We reached the cache in about 40 minutes after 40 minutes of hiking through sandy, FL trails in the heat and were not able to put our hands on it. Giving up on the cache, we started back toward the car and took several wrong turns because of heath exhaustion and fatigue (i was about 100lbs overweight at the time). The trail systems we were on was about 250+ acres that was a literal crisscross maze of mountain biking paths carved out of the dense, FL foliage. We ran out of water, had no spare calories and no sunscreen. It took about two hours to get back to the car and upon our return we were exhausted and dehydrated, not mention sunburned and angry. It was Mrs. Halo's last real geocache adventure.

Lessons learned - Waypoint the car, print a map out, carry enough water, sunscreen and a few extra calories, and no matter how good your sense of direction is (i have a GPS chip embedded in my skull - God put in there) normally, don't count on it functioning at normal operational readiness when you are too fat and dehydrated.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
    « Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »
    I stored 55 gals of whole wheat in a galvanized container once.

There must have been a weevil or two inside, because when I popped the lid open a few months later it was (as Jacques Cousteau would have said) "Everywhere, a teeming Sea of Life!".

That was Mistake #2. Not de-weevilizing the wheat.

Mistake #1 was putting up 55 gals in a single container in the first place. It was a real pain dragging than can out into the back yard, although the birds really appreciated my thoughtfulness.

I sparked a real feeding frenzy when I dumped it out.

Never put more goods in a single container than you can can conveniently carry, and never more than you can bear to lose all at once.

Now I use 3-gallon Christmas cans (aka potato chip or popcorn tins) and freeze them for a few days after sealing them.

Haven't see a weevil since.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
    • Moderator On Leave
    • Survival Demonstrator
    • God, Guns and Oil!
    « Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
    Bought 5 acres in bush Alaska as a BOL.  ATV or snow machine access only.  With no road access, it is impossible for wife and dogs to get our there by themselves. 

Must get property on road system that Mrs. Berserker can get to, set up, and stay if I can't get home in time to help. 

BP

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
    • Administrator
    • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    « Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
    We have so many new people on the forum (yeah!) that I wanted to try to restart this thread for them. ...

Thanks, from a new person.  I hadn't seen this thread.

Mistakes?  Yeah, this could become a very lonnnnng post...

Did have spouse on-board all along ;D and did start early.  But did not stick with it.  I don't remember what's in our BOBs, except that the MREs got eaten long ago and any other perishable items have certainly perished.  And the clothing probably won't fit around our abdomens.  This is not good.  Food supplies in the house are similarly haphazard.  So this mistake is in the general category of prepping only until you get bored with it.

Closely related to this is starting a big prep project but never finishing it -- e.g. the nifty propane-fueled 48VDC generator that's sitting out in the garage, useless without a battery bank and inverter.  The project turned out to be a lot more complicated than I expected (not to mention expensive).  (I'm hoping to actually finish it this year, and I'll blog it and post a link here if I do.)

One really big and expensive mistake we made: attempting to start a home-based business.  This incorporated a whole swarm of sub-mistakes -- for example:
    • Believing that the ability to produce a product or service is 90% of the job.  [insert rueful little laugh here]  No, you've got to choose a product/service that people actually want to buy, and then you've got to sell it -- that's the other 90%.  And the financial accounting is the third 90%.  And you have to do all this efficiently so that you aren't earning 50 cents an hour. :-[
    • "If we're really taking this thing seriously, then we're going to have to throw a little money at it."  I've done this more than once.  It generally means I've found an expensive toy that I want to buy.  (Obviously this applies to prepping in general.  Was it really such a good idea to buy a conversion cylinder for the blackpowder revolver so that it can fire very expensive cowboy ammo?)

I was walking with my kids. A guy opened up his front door and out runs his pit bull. ...

... REACT. DON'T FREEZE UP. Things can go from normal to dangerous in just a few seconds. How you respond in those few seconds can make all the difference in the world.

Wow, that's a hard one.  I think it's an instinctive human reaction to refuse to believe that a situation is out of the ordinary.  I've never been in a situation like that, but I believe I would have reacted the same as you. :(

• Trying to store stuff I don't really like eating.  Green beans?  For reals?  What was I thinking?  Bleh.  :P
    • Growing things in my garden that I don't really like to eat.  I mean, duh, right?  Well apparently not for me.  When I started growing yellow bush beans, I was like "wtf am i doing? why did I plant these here?"

Fresh green beans (or yellow) are to be fried in hot butter until lightly browned.  This is the only acceptable way to eat them.  Canned green beans are not a food item, they are something you put on your plate to make the rest of the meal look better by comparison.

I guess I'll stop now, before this turns into a frigging autobiography.  ;)

:D  Actually I'm having flashbacks to age 12 and "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned..."

Possenti2264

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »

Nope, but they make canned green beans with potatoes mixed in, which is better than just green beans or just potatoes. 

(Although I could eat pasta, rice, or potatoes each by themselves for a meal.  I love 'em.)

sage0925

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »
    I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but I'm not sure that I haven't made a mistake telling some friends about our prepping. What I have gotten is basically, "I'll be coming to your place!" Well, that's all fine and good, but they haven't made any effort to find out if there is any way they can contribute to the cause. And I KNOW they'll be coming here if SHTF.

I guess they expect to eat our food, and use our guns and ammo. One of them has a girlfriend I don't like. I don't mind him coming up, but I'd rather he leave her at home, but I can't tell him that.

I'm not good at tact and diplomacy...I just say what's on my mind, for the most part. How can I delicately say,"Yeah well, if you're not going to help out with the prepping part, keep your ass at home"? These are friends of my husband, and they've done us favors from time to time (except the girlfriend), but nothing to justify taking care of them for an extended period of time.

We're about to spend well over a thousand dollars for a hand pump and a large water tank. I'm afraid that I'm getting a bit resentful about them contributing nothing. They could at least buy a bag of beans.

Any suggestions?

Sage

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
    • Moderator On Leave
    • Survival Veteran
    • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
      • 299 Days
    « Reply #58 on: June 04, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

My mistake was, in the 3 or 4 seconds that this all happened, There was this voice in my head going "oh, no, we can't hurt the nice little doggie, somebody might sue". Stupid as it was that's what I was thinking.

I made a similar mistake and have learned from it.

I was driving with my two kids.  I had to go to the bathroom in an urgent way (no nice way to say that) so I stopped at a rest area in a small, secluded park in a forested area.  So far so good.  I tell the kids to stay in the car.  There is a suspicious van there and right as I get out, a very creepy guy who looked a lot like Charles Manson gets out too and looks at my kids in the car.  I am planning on going into the bathroom and leaving the kids in the car.

I had a pistol in the car, locked and out of sight as required by law.  I should have either crapped my pants or quietly got my pistol unlocked (not brandishing)--but I didn't want to freak out my kids by them seeing a gun (and telling their mom!).  As all these thoughts were going through my head, I was seriously needing to go to the bathroom. 

Well, I try super hard not to over react or be a gun-wielding cowboy.  So, like a dumb a$$, I made sure the car was locked and went into the bathroom--but the creepy Charles Manson guy starts to follow me in there.  I cut him off and lock the door behind me.  I hurriedly take care of business.  I couldn't believe I was in there when my kids were out there with creepy dude.  I put my keys into my fist so they were poking out and rushed the door expecting to fight for my life (and my kids').  Creepy guy was milling around right by the door and initially came forward toward me.  At the last minute he just veered off. 

I got the hell out of there.

I will never lose my head that way again or give a crap--ironic, huh?--about whether my kids feel weird about me having a gun.  But the gun wasn't necessary, really.  I learned first-hand that long before I would unholster a gun, I will get out of the situation even if it means crapping my pants.

Sorry to talk about poopies, but it's kind of important to the story.  It explains why I didn't' just get back in my car and leave.

I feel pretty stupid for taking that chance but if I'm asking people to share their mistakes for the education of the community, I need to do my part.

Offline Sporadic_E

• Survivor
    « Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »
    I should have bought land in my first 15 years in the army rather than piss my liver away.