Author Topic: 50 Uses for Vinegar...  (Read 14747 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
50 Uses for Vinegar...
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »
http://aedra.com/~sotto/tim/50Uses_for_Vinegar.txt  Thanks to Archer for the server space!

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

backyardgardener

Re: 50 Uses for Vinegar...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
I use vinegar to catch fruit flies, when a population builds up near my house plants or compost bin. Just pour a 1/4 cup of vinegar into a canning jar, cover the jar with saran wrap or a plastic bag and secure with an elastic. Then poke a few relatively small holes in the plastic. The fruit flies crawl in but can't find their way back out and eventually drown in the vinegar.

Its also pretty easy to make with failed wine or apple cider attempts for those of us that have tried and failed! Here's a few recipes.

http://thehealthyeatingsite.com/apple-cider-vinegar-recipe/
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5346.html
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/20/7479
http://www.gangofpour.com/diversions/vinegar/index.html

Old Country Herbs

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
Great links, Thank you. I pick dandelion greens wash them, let them air dry all day and put in a mason jar covering with Apple Cider Vinegar let it infuse for 6 weeks shaking once daily. We then use this in salad dressings. A cheap and easy way to get loads of vitamins and minerals.

I've had great success with Dandelion greens and dandelion roots. I've also infused basil the same way, it was yummy.

Christina

Offline Sid

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »
Here is one not on the list.  Cure a hangover. It helps complete the metabolism of alcohol.  Any type vinegar will work, but apple cider vinegar taste better.  Just take a couple tablespoons, before drinking, while drinking and/or after drinking alcohol.   Citric acid, which you can buy at a health food store, works the same way also.

If you suffer from acid indigestion, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar helps also, but it can burn a little going down.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
Here is one not on the list.  Cure a hangover. It helps complete the metabolism of alcohol.  Any type vinegar will work, but apple cider vinegar taste better.  Just take a couple tablespoons, before drinking, while drinking and/or after drinking alcohol.   Citric acid, which you can buy at a health food store, works the same way also.

If you suffer from acid indigestion, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar helps also, but it can burn a little going down.

Thanks Sid!  And WELCOME to the group!  I suffer from reflux disease (and suffer, and suffer...) and take Nexium daily and a lot of Tum's in between as well.  I'll try the apple cider vinegar and see if it works on me.

Tim.

Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »
wow vinegar is powerful! Thanks for passing on that knowledge.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Do you know how often you need to apply the vinegar to the weeds to kill them?  My husband tried it last year, but nothing happened.  I think he only tried it once.  We have a dog and a child, so it would be nice to find a cheap, non-toxic solution.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
Do you know how often you need to apply the vinegar to the weeds to kill them?  My husband tried it last year, but nothing happened.  I think he only tried it once.  We have a dog and a child, so it would be nice to find a cheap, non-toxic solution.

No, sorry I don't.  But since it is non-toxic, I'd spray them every week until they dropped.  And something tells me (in the back of my mind...) to use warm to hot vinegar (temp) but I don't know why.  BTW... WELCOME to the group!

Tim.

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »
My wife has been having bad heart burn and indigestion. We get a magazine called marry Janes farm and she read this recipe. We got all the stuff for it tonight and she made a cup of it.

2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tsp honey
add to water.

She says it has worked for her tonight. I tasted it. I have never tasted urine, but I think that's what it would taste like.

John Willis
www.SOEtacticalgear.com

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
I've also heard that taking apple cider vinegar with anything that might be contaminated with bacteria (salmonella, etc) would kill the bacteria and keep you from getting sick.  Good to have if you've eaten any of that bad FEMA peanut butter.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:06 AM »
You can also make Shrub, that refreshing old-fashioned drink!

This raspberry vinegar recipe is taken from the book "Cookery" by Amy G. Richards, published by E. M. Renouf, Montreal, in 1895.

3 quarts fresh raspberries, 1 quart vinegar, 2 lb sugar. Pick the raspberries and pour the vinegar over them, stand a week, stirring well each day. Then strain, and boil with the sugar for fifteen to twenty minutes; skim well as it boils. Put into bottles, and cork when cold. This vinegar will keep good a very long time, and it makes an excellent drink for patients suffering with the throat. About 1 dessertspoon is sufficient for 1/2 pint of water.

For more recipes visit: http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/raspberry-vinegar-recipes.html

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
for the weed kille Mix 1 gallon apple cider vinegar, one container table salt (I would guess the 26 oz size), and four tablespoons dishwashing detergent. the dish washing detergent helps it to stick  to the weed.

I also use a 50/50 blend o apple cider vinegar and water as a flea killer for the dogs/cats
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:47:52 PM by Trash »

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
I suffer from reflux disease (and suffer, and suffer...) and take Nexium daily and a lot of Tum's in between as well.  I'll try the apple cider vinegar and see if it works on me.

Have you tried sleeping on a 20% incline? What about sleeping on your left side? Have you tried sucking on hard candy? I know several people with GERD (including one who had GERD surgery) and most swear by at least one of these remedies. Hope one helps!

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:20:34 AM »
I have a problem with odorous house ants (aka small sugar ants) swarming my counter top.  Vinegar did not help.  :-\

millerized1

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:41:29 AM »
for the weed killer Mix 1 gallon apple cider vinegar, one container table salt (I would guess the 26 oz size), and four tablespoons dishwashing detergent. the dish washing detergent helps it to stick  to the weed.
Salt and Vinegar gives you a weak mix of sodium acetate and hydrogen chloride.  IIRC. 

Growing up, we used that same mix to clean pennies and copper pipe. Although leaving it on will turn them green in short order. Sprayed on bright copper will accelerate the green aging of copper that folks seem to love. verdgris, if I spelled it correctly.

millerized1

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
I have a problem with odorous house ants (aka small sugar ants) swarming my counter top.  Vinegar did not help.  :-\
Terro ant poison will take care of them once and for all.  Relatively safe if you don't drink the whole bottle ;)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:24:15 AM »
Have you tried sleeping on a 20% incline? What about sleeping on your left side? Have you tried sucking on hard candy? I know several people with GERD (including one who had GERD surgery) and most swear by at least one of these remedies. Hope one helps!

Thanks for the suggestions ebonearth!  I do sleep inclined, and that alone has helped the most.  Gravity does win from time to time however.  Left side is worse for me, almost always gaurantees an episode.  Haven't tried hard candy, unless Tums counts!

Tim.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Haven't tried hard candy, unless Tums counts!
Hard candy helps by encouraging saliva which in turn helps coat the esophagus and curb some of the acidic activity. Just in case you were curious. :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
My wife sucks on sugar free cough drops and that helps her acid reflux.

Michael Masse

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
Need to come up with a Paul Simon Mnemonic aid to remember all 50 uses for vinegar.

"50 ways to use Vinegar"

Scrub all your Cents - Gents

Kill all you Weeds - Geeves

Drink with a Berry - Larry

Just list them please

Works with Heart Burn - Vern

Pickle Away - Jay

Draw them flies - Guys

It's a wonderful thing.

OK I'm done - Hey it's Friday - Thanks for humoring me.

Offline kimrpeterson

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Michael J...you had me trying to sing your vinegar song.  ;D   I use vinegar and water to clean the window on my wood burning stove.  It really works getting off the dark burned in smoke stains. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Need to come up with a Paul Simon Mnemonic aid to remember all 50 uses for vinegar.

Starting Happy Hour a little early Michael?

Michael Masse

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Look out here comes the karaoke machine..

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
I was at the vet this past weekend and he mentioned a formula for dog ear cleaner. Apparently dog ears are slightly acidic and this will help clear things out and restore the balance especially if the ears start smelling a little funky due to yeast build up which happens when soapy water accidentally gets in there. The moment he mentioned it I immediately thought I need to get this on the Vinegar forum thread;D
  • One Part White Vinegar
  • Three Parts Water
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:33:58 PM by ebonearth »

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:56 AM »
I was at the vet this past weekend and he mentioned a formula for dog ear cleaner. Apparently dog ears are slightly acidic and this will help clear things out and restore the balance especially if the ears start smelling a little funky due to yeast build up which happens when soapy water accidentally gets in there. The moment he mentioned it I immediately thought I need to get this on the Vinegar forum thread;D
  • One Part White Vinegar
  • Three Parts Water

One part vinegar and one part rubbing alcohol works better for me.  The alcohol dries it out.

Also, I ran a load of clean dishes with vinegar and WOW!  My glassware and the inside of my dishwasher are much cleaner.  I didn't realize the film that had developed.

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »
Ok Ok so i posted. the 50 thing u can do with on myspace.
And someone texted me why did you post that?? i told her i think people mite like to know. just lost i tell ya ::) ::) ::)

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
People are more interested in surveys on myspace that ask questions like, "what color socks are you wearing."  Go figure....   ???

Offline ClarkB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
Vinegar is an important substance.  Handed down from the 1880's is my great-grandfather's "Vinegar Jug".  It is a large stoneware jug, of about a gallon in capacity.  It has a brass tag attached to the handle which is embossed "F. E. Day - Vinegar".  I have photos of my grandmother, born in 1898, as a young girl standing with 'her cow' which they kept in the backyard.  Vinegar mattered a lot as a nutrient and a medicine.

Below is a closeup shot of the brass tag that is inscribed "F.E. DAY VINEGAR".  Great GrandDad was both an engineer and a farmer.   

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »
Terro ant poison will take care of them once and for all.  Relatively safe if you don't drink the whole bottle ;)

They are tearing up the Terro.  I had 5 large dollops on a piece of foil and those were gone in a few hours.  I added a lot more and they are back and swarming.

It's all I can do to not get out the ammonia spray and kill the little ****ers.  Hope this kills them off.  Any idea how long it takes?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »
One more use that I don't think I saw.

If you tend to "forget" you have a load of laundry in and it gets that stinky musty smell that doesn't come out even if you rewash it....just add a cup or two of vinegar to rewash it...no soap needed....and the smell goes away. I keep a gallon on my laundry room shelf!  ::)